coastalfreak

Why use Bank Sinkers?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I've always been a pyramid sinker guy. I've just always felt they hold better than bank sinkers of comparable weight, and if I'm putting a sinker on a snap, the brass hook on the pyramid sinker is much easier to work with then a molded circle on a bank. 

They definitely are still popular. 

You don't always want the sinker to hold. Sometimes you want the current to move the bait to where the fish are stacking.

Back when I was a chunker or worming off the bottom on the bank, I'd use pyramids for sandy bottoms and bank sinkers for boulder fields.   I felt that I'd lose far less bank sinkers in the rocks than a pyramid sinker.   

That explains it. Down here we have wicked, wicked tides and very muddy bottoms so that makes since. Sounds like the bank sinkers are the way to go around jetties though, or even oyster beds. 

27 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Back when I was a chunker or worming off the bottom on the bank, I'd use pyramids for sandy bottoms and bank sinkers for boulder fields.   I felt that I'd lose far less bank sinkers in the rocks than a pyramid sinker.   

You should have used a coin sinker they are made for rocky bottoms as they plain once you start reeling

32 mins ago, Sudsy said:

You don't always want the sinker to hold. Sometimes you want the current to move the bait to where the fish are stacking.

I’ve always found that If  the sinker is rolling around the line just tangles.  I use a fish finder rig for that and the sinker stays put

I always used a fish finder rig with a bank sinker in boulder fields.   I didn't lose much at all on that rig and had a lot of success on the outgoing tides.   Key is fresh bait and structure.   I smoked 'em!    

I always perferred the brass eyed flat bank sinkers in sticky bottoms.......they seem to plane upwards out of harms way a bit quicker and found I hung up quite a bit less....

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I always perferred the brass eyed flat bank sinkers in sticky bottoms.......they seem to plane upwards out of harms way a bit quicker and found I hung up quite a bit less....

Flat banks are the way to go.  Unless it's really moving, then the 7oz sputniks come out.  

Never seen a brass eyed flat bank though.  Always molded.  

Edited by Captain Planet

50 mins ago, Captain Planet said:

Flat banks are the way to go.  Unless it's really moving, then the 7oz sputniks come out.  

Never seen a brass eyed flat bank though.  Always molded.  

I ordered 5lb of 5oz and 4oz a couple years ago....think an egg...but squashed flat with a brass eye.

Normally I'd nnot have any left...the planing aspect plus high speed reel makes for much higher chance of getting my rig back.  I still have plenty :)

Easy to drill and add grip wires if needed.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338075534&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FFlat-4-oz-Fishing-Sinker-Lead-Weight%2F352637982398%3Fhash%3Ditem521adc96be%3Am%3Amz5pMQjJ7H52Mn2UZAyKG6Q

I started out fishing with bank sinker then switch to pyramid, then back to bank sinker again. With bank sinker i get more casting distance and also when reeling it back in it feel much lighter without the drags of water.