avet4life

Van Staal LEFTY pictures of gear and pinion help please

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

My buddy has a lefty and I have serviced it. I don’t know if the gear pattern is reversed on the main gear and pinion, but the thread for the handle is reversed. 

Call Tulsa, they can satisfy your curiosity. 

Not sure where you are located but if you are located in Long Island you can bring your reel to saltwaters tackle in Islip and mike will take care of you otherwise give them a ring

19 hours ago, ged said:

My buddy has a lefty and I have serviced it. I don’t know if the gear pattern is reversed on the main gear and pinion, but the thread for the handle is reversed. 

Call Tulsa, they can satisfy your curiosity. 

Call Tulsa, they did not know,, call Craig ,, he stated that the teeth are the reverse direction, but i do not think he fully understood me.  I just need a pictures for clarification .. I do know that the handle thread is reversed . 

What ate you trying to figure out? The rotor spins counter clockwise on the lefty’s so the gears are cut the opposite direction. 

1 hour ago, Wolfdog said:

What ate you trying to figure out? The rotor spins counter clockwise on the lefty’s so the gears are cut the opposite direction. 

1. I know the rotor spins the counter clockwise.

2. I think that the gear is cut the same, but only the handle thread is reverse,, but I need a Pictures to verify .

If the gear was cut the same way then how would the rotor spin the opposite direction... listen to Craig the guy knows what he’s talking about. 

43 mins ago, avet4life said:

1. I know the rotor spins the counter clockwise.

2. I think that the gear is cut the same, but only the handle thread is reverse,, but I need a Pictures to verify .

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, avet4life said:

Call Tulsa, they did not know,, call Craig ,, he stated that the teeth are the reverse direction, but i do not think he fully understood me.  I just need a pictures for clarification .. I do know that the handle thread is reversed . 

I will pull my buddies reel apart when he gets back and update this thread

Edited by ged

Here you go. There is no way for them to use the right handed gear and just reverse the handle thread.  See the scallopped gear teeth, it's design to go in only one direction. 

20190618_150604.jpg.44b096475ac1b6dc00a70958c744f867.jpg.92c3a29e4401a1c5a1e815759ca64e46.jpg

22 mins ago, hobobob said:

Here you go. There is no way for them to use the right handed gear and just reverse the handle thread.  See the scallopped gear teeth, it's design to go in only one direction. 

20190618_150604.jpg.44b096475ac1b6dc00a70958c744f867.jpg.92c3a29e4401a1c5a1e815759ca64e46.jpg

Hey, is that a discounted factory blemish? They wrote their name backwards!

28 mins ago, hobobob said:

Haha LOL ,, i love the photoshop reverse image,, but really , just need someone with the LEFTY to open and take a picture.