jkrock

This viral garlic peeling tip that is all over twitter

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Where you stick the point of knife into a clove of garlic still in the head and twist out the perfectly peeled clove.  It looks too good to be true.

Any try it?

I'm waiting for the first lawsuit against food network for the person that cuts themselves slapping a knife blade on garlic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't get why everyone acts like peeling garlic is some massive PITA.  I highly doubt that method works as well as the video purports.  They sell silicon sleeves to help peel garlic which some people swear by but I've never understood why.  Place the garlic on a cutting board, turn a chef's knife sideways, and smash it with the sideways blade.  Skin comes off very easily after that.

Edited by sbcbmx112

When I need a lot of garlic I just use the two bowl method to skin two or more heads of garlic at a time. Right now I have plenty of peeled garlic, but when I run out of that I'll try the knife method.

Buy the pre-peeled cloves. Basically same price per pound in a lot of places.  It was the only way I could get my wife to stop using the chopped crap in the jars, now the garlic flows liberally!!!

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Buy the pre-peeled cloves.

Ugh..........never in my house.

Crack the head(s) into cloves, grab a beer, put on M*A*S*H or The Chase or Judge Judy, or whatever of your choice for background noise, sit down at the table or counter, and pinch each clove between your thumb and forefinger, peel off the skin, and toss in your garlic bowl.

You would actually be surprised that even two large heads won't take longer than 6-7 minutes....and you have sat down, had part of a cocktail, could reflect on the day, and end up with a product that can be used in ALL the different variations of fresh garlic you may need from roasted whole closes to minced fresh for a stir fry, and everything in between.

"Daddy, slow down some, cause you're making me run, Daddy don't you walk so fast...."

That little kid had a world of knowledge...... ;)

Edited by Steve in Mass

12 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Ugh..........never in my house.

Crack the head(s) into cloves, grab a beer, put on M*A*S*H or The chase or Judge Judy for background noise...

I guess it depends on how you value your time, and how much of it you have. Reminds me of discussing breadmakers with people who say they love the sensuous feeling of kneading the bread. But very few make a challah every Friday like we do. It's ready to braid and pop in the oven when we get home from work. As good as full on hand kneaded slow risen? Possibly not. But it gets done, and is hot and ready for dinner. For my wife, who felt her time was tight enough to use the crappy garlic in a jar, the pre-peeled is the thing and qualitatively far closer to a fresh head.

EDIT: me, dandelion-less? How about grassless! Sore subject. 

Edited by gellfex

On 6/18/2019 at 4:31 PM, sbcbmx112 said:

I don't get why everyone acts like peeling garlic is some massive PITA.  I highly doubt that method works as well as the video purports.  They sell silicon sleeves to help peel garlic which some people swear by but I've never understood why.  Place the garlic on a cutting board, turn a chef's knife sideways, and smash it with the sideways blade.  Skin comes off very easily after that.

^^^^ This, every time when you need to mince it. Not sure where I first learned that but it was a long time ago and never fails. So effective that for long cook recipes, I will just toss in the crushed clove without dicing and it will just melt away. 

But if you need it seriously small, a good garlic press is indispensable. 

On 6/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, jkrock said:

Where you stick the point of knife into a clove of garlic still in the head and twist out the perfectly peeled clove.  It looks too good to be true.

Any try it?

I tried it last night.  Clever way to break the cloves inside the peel which you still have to fish out and peel anyway.  

15 mins ago, tomkaz said:

But if you need it seriously small, a good garlic press is indispensable. 

True. We've tried many, but the $5 Ikea is one of the best. The stainless insert never blows out, the chamber is small for weak female hands, and is pretty easy to clean. It claims you can press unpeeled, I'll have to try that sometime. Before I started microplaning ginger, we sometimes put chunks in the press. That will show you the ones that are well made!

koncis-garlic-press__0168531_PE279397_S4

35 mins ago, JimW said:

I tried it last night.  Clever way to break the cloves inside the peel which you still have to fish out and peel anyway.  

Seemed to me that was the likely outcome of this method.  I still may try it, but my expectations for success are low

33 mins ago, gellfex said:

True. We've tried many, but the $5 Ikea is one of the best. The stainless insert never blows out, the chamber is small for weak female hands, and is pretty easy to clean. It claims you can press unpeeled, I'll have to try that sometime. Before I started microplaning ginger, we sometimes put chunks in the press. That will show you the ones that are well made!

We went through a couple until we found our current one, built like a tank. I think it is Oxo brand. 

I press unpeeled, when my wife is not looking. The only issue I have is if doing more than two, the skins will make it harder to press. 

My wife uses our for ginger, but up into smaller pieces. I would tell her to Microplane it, but she and the Microplanes (we have four of them) are not on good terms. She got distracted one day and planed off the tip of a finger. Nothing fatal for sure, but she is now wary of those sharp edges.