saltydawg

Gen Z and the suicide conundrum

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

are you basing this on anything in particular?

The data reported on the murders and suicides that are taking place because of what is happening in social media rather than in real life. It’s every bit as real and dangerous as the corporeal world. 

2 mins ago, saltydawg said:

The data reported on the murders and suicides that are taking place because of what is happening in social media 

gotcha.

I haven't read any studies on that,

just asking if you had or if that was just a pet theory you had.

I don’t have any answers.  I knew 3, all around 30 so not gen z but close enough.  Two had a history of drug abuse they got past and were reasonably successful.  One lost it after his second failed relationship.  The other didn’t seem to have any issues.  Other one, a girl, was always a bit nutty, insecure, but apparently struggled with pain and physical decline from chronic Lyme disease. 

Whether any of this would support blaming social media I couldn’t say. 

Divorce rate is higher than ever, and both parents working 50-60 hours a week and not having any time for their kids are I'm sure both contributors to the higher suicide rate among young people. Times are much different now, people live to work instead of working to live. 

59 mins ago, saltydawg said:

Suicide among 15-24 year olds is the highest it’s been since before the turn of the millennia. There is certainly no magic bullet (no pun intended), but there are some likely contributors, including opioid use, social media, and overprescribing anti-depressants and similar. JAMA also says it could be a greater willingness for people to report deaths as suicides. 

In a world that has never been more advanced, safer, and more luxurious, this trend seems to be signaling that we are failing in some important areas. 

Thoughts? 

565451EE-D2D6-406C-9E95-3E464E58A969.jpeg.524508be345a4b6929af9036bd8603db.jpeg

Were any of the ones at the older end vets?

They were raised with pure bullspit.  Their minds were polluted with SM and phones as Dude noted.  They get to a certain age and discover that world does not actually work the way they were told.  They simply cant deal.  They look at the BS people post on FB extolling their perfect lives and despair.  No money, no skills, no one to take selfies with.

51 mins ago, Mummichog said:

There was a lot less suicide when all colleges were free.

When was that?

Wow, Jim...that’s harsh.

I don’t think there is a single thing to blame. Rather it seems to be they are struggling to thrive in the current environment, which is comprised of hundreds or thousands of contributing factors

They need instant gratification. If/when they don't get it they feel depressed. Less important. 

I think it will take decades even generations but we'll look back and see how negative Facebook, Instagram, social media, etc is on the human spirit. 

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

When was that?

Never.  I was sarcastically challenging the notion that student debt is contributing to the rise is suicide.

First generation participation trophy getters  feel crushed when faced with failure, or disappointment as an adult, and can't handle it...That is my prognosis.

4 hours ago, fish'nmagician said:

of course not,

but you were making sweeping claims about the removal of competition which did not meet my own observations or experience,

so I asked you.......

if YOUR experience was that your kids faced a lot of competition,

what are you basing that assertion on?

My kids faced alot of competition.  Way more than my generation