yemista

Quabbin This time of year

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

How is the quabbin boat scene this time of year. I was thinking of going next week on a not too windy day.  What an i best off targeting and in roughly how deep water?

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you're renting, you shouldn't have a problem getting a boat, especially during the week.

Salmon will be 20' down or so,  over deep water. Lakers will be on the bottom of deeper water or near dropoffs to deep water. Rainbows will be about 10' -20' down.

I'm not sure if smallies have hit post spawn yet or if the males are still on nests. Once smallies spawn, stripers and blues start showing up so I stop paying attention to smallies.

I'll probably be there on Sunday so I can let you know about depths then.

Edited by zak-striper

21 hours ago, zak-striper said:

If you're renting, you shouldn't have a problem getting a boat, especially during the week.

Salmon will be 20' down or so,  over deep water. Lakers will be on the bottom of deeper water or near dropoffs to deep water. Rainbows will be about 10' -20' down.

I'm not sure if smallies have hit post spawn yet or if the males are still on nests. Once smallies spawn, stripers and blues start showing up so I stop paying attention to smallies.

I'll probably be there on Sunday so I can let you know about depths then.

Let me know how you do if you go, it would be much appreciated. Good luck!

Use to be able to call the gate that you were going out of to get a report on what they were catching in area and depths. Not sure of numbers now but give dcr in quabbin a call and ask if they still do that. 

13 hours ago, sandbars said:

Use to be able to call the gate that you were going out of to get a report on what they were catching in area and depths. Not sure of numbers now but give dcr in quabbin a call and ask if they still do that. 

I can give that a shot as well, thanks for the tip, I did not realize they did that

Well we got one, 4.08lbs, safely released. The motor died on the boat and we ended up needing a tow in, otherwise a great day on the water

20190624_095856(0).jpg.e4f0be95514db4bd80e5a7dea0bffe36.jpg

On 6/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, yemista said:

Yea I called today and they said they dont have that information available

It's been a lot of years since they had anyone surveying what was caught.