John O'

Any thoughts on plexi glass instead of rails on deck

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Going to replace existing old decks at beach house and considering plexi glass for a better view.  Does it lose its clarity in foul beach weather, I am close to the ocean.   Am I better off with wire? 

Thanks for your indulgence.

John, plexi is a no go especially near salt. It will not turn out well.

They do make very nice glass panel railing systems that I have installed. They will cost ya though. 

Cable rail systems are nice as well, and perhaps cheaper for materials, but are more labor intensive to install. So that may be a wash.

I've seen it done with lobster pot stuff, but that was under 3' high where codes were very lax. Deerbusters makes a 3' x 100' roll of 2" square galvanized 14 gauge pvc coated mesh for under $200.00. Dunno if this will fly, code-wise, where yer at. But worth looking into. Easy to install, and look thru.

Agree with what the others say. Sun and salt are a no go for plexi. If installing a cable rail, I'd suggest finding one in stainless steel or at least a rubberized coating. Though the rubber will yellow or haze over time as well. 

2 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

I've seen it done with lobster pot stuff, but that was under 3' high where codes were very lax. Deerbusters makes a 3' x 100' roll of 2" square galvanized 14 gauge pvc coated mesh for under $200.00. Dunno if this will fly, code-wise, where yer at. But worth looking into. Easy to install, and look thru.

I'm surprised the builder recommended the plexi, he does a lot of work near my cottage, he also said cable is about the same price. I'm months away from doing it so I have time to think it over.  Thanks John.

1 min ago, John O' said:

I'm surprised the builder recommended the plexi, he does a lot of work near my cottage, he also said cable is about the same price. I'm months away from doing it so I have time to think it over.  Thanks John.

Not knowing him, but perhaps he was referring to the actual glass panels. Or just trying to help you work in a tight budget.

I think he was giving us options that were in the same price range but still unsure why he'd recommend the plexi so close to the ocean.

3 hours ago, HellRaY said:

plexi will haze over time, i think the salt water will reduce the time it stays clear significantly.

x2

Plexi will be an issue as far as staying clear. Also, it blocks a lot of air flow. Go with the standard ballisters, they will last past the time your dead. :)

4 hours ago, John O' said:

Going to replace existing old decks at beach house and considering plexi glass for a better view.  Does it lose its clarity in foul beach weather, I am close to the ocean.   Am I better off with wire? 

Thanks for your indulgence.

My mom has a house at the Jersey shore, and a big new house just went up across the street. They used those vertical clear panels: I'm assuming it's plexi-glass, but I don't know what exactly it is.

My two cents? It looks awful. It's always dirty/wet/foggy, and it looks cheap. I don't like it.

9 mins ago, Belmo said:

My mom has a house at the Jersey shore, and a big new house just went up across the street. They used those vertical clear panels: I'm assuming it's plexi-glass, but I don't know what exactly it is.

My two cents? It looks awful. It's always dirty/wet/foggy, and it looks cheap. I don't like it.

All of the glass panel rails I have done are actual safety glass. Never seen any kind of Lexan panels. And I would never use them even if they were available.

I

Just now, Ben Lippen said:

All of the glass panel rails I have done are actual safety glass. Never seen any kind of Lexan panels. And I would never use them even if they were available.

I

I'm sure you're right. I assumed it was plexiglass, but I'm a dummy. And I haven't been any closer than about 40 feet to it.

But I hated the look. I know it's an aesthetic thing, but I thought they looked dumb. But that's just me. :shrug: