bob_G

Rt 495 mile marker 6.6

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm driving east on 495 yesterday right around mile marker 6.6 and saw a canal outfit on the median. Reel looked fine, can't speak to the rest of it.

Bob, interesting story, but, whitch 495 were you on, in Mass 495 runs North/South not East/ West.  Seeing something like a rod and reel in the median strip, and identifying it as a "canal" set up takes a keen eye, I hope you are not one of those senior drivers going 40 MPH in the left lane...…………...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Man that stinks! 

Didn’t someone spot a canal bike a year or two ago? Someone had apparently forgot to put the hitch pin in their bike rack.  (Maybe that was on Rt 3)

Edited by PlumFishing

17 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Man that stinks! 

Didn’t someone spot a canal bike a year or two ago? Someone had apparently forgot to put the hitch pin in their bike rack.  (Maybe that was on Rt 3)

That was me. I actually saw the bike fall off, and get hit by several cars.

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

That was me. I actually saw the bike fall off, and get hit by several cars.

Just picturing what you saw is making me chuckle. I’m going to hell :mad:

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Bernie,

Its tough to miss an 11' spinning outfit a foot off the third lane. :laugh:

How about making the same post twice :howdy::laugh:

1 hour ago, PlumFishing said:

Just picturing what you saw is making me chuckle. I’m going to hell :mad:

I'll tell ya, seeing that bike getting hit was a dramatic event. The thing that really caught my eye was the spokes coming off and flying through the air. I could see them glistening in the sun 20' in the air.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'll tell ya, seeing that bike getting hit was a dramatic event. The thing that really caught my eye was the spokes coming off and flying through the air. I could see them glistening in the sun 20' in the air.

Even the high-end racks aren't really designed to handle the unbalanced weight of a canal cruiser.  I have a quality rack for my 2" hitch and every time i put the bike on it I'm on pins and needles.  Last year coming home one of the straps gave way and the bike was just dangling off the rack.  Fortunately My vehicle is fairly tall so it kept from dragging, but only by a few inches.  Good thing I had a backup safety strap or it likely would have fallen completely off on busy Rt 3.

A good reason to travel with the rod on the roof and the reel in the trunk, rig up by the light of a headlamp after parking.  A blank rod has virtually no wind resistance.