icarussound

Trepidatious? Watch this

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Do you feel a little concerned getting out it in surf? No fishing in this vid but worth watching! Up till 2017 I ran mountain ultras, 100 mile+ races, some scary as hell, some just freaking arduous. This vid reminds me of that sortof. It’s worth taking risks, stupid risks, to live a little bigger. Wouldn’t try this myself now but it’s fun to watch 

Edited by icarussound
Adding something

Whenever I express interest in kayaking rapids everyone i know says im crazy and piles on a list of reasons why its a bad idea.  I want more out of life than working 40 hours a week and acquiring expensive things.  The only thing people care about lately is longevity.  Whats the point of living if your not doing anything?  That woman is living her best life.

49 mins ago, bantis said:

Whenever I express interest in kayaking rapids everyone i know says im crazy and piles on a list of reasons why its a bad idea.  I want more out of life than working 40 hours a week and acquiring expensive things.  The only thing people care about lately is longevity.  Whats the point of living if your not doing anything?  That woman is living her best life.

Paul I used to go every spring. Typical weekend involved a EMT mid river or an airlift for someone. However I don't think your crazy for doing it but you haven't a chance with your Outback.

Whitewater up to class 5 was my total thing for about a dozen years til I had a 2nd kid and realized the risks were not worth it. Lower level rivers can still be a lot of fun and a great way to get outdoors, no riskier than typical skiing. That said, kayaking extreme rivers alone is taking the risks too far IMO. It's equivalent to Free Solo in abandoning the normal safety protocols of the sport.

Me, 1991, Wonder Falls, Big Sandy River WV.

5a29e6358036e_wonderfallspost.jpg.5d27a116f0d698fe73a812577f1a0589.jpg

17 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Paul I used to go every spring. Typical weekend involved a EMT mid river or an airlift for someone. However I don't think your crazy for doing it but you haven't a chance with your Outback.

Oh I wouldn't dare try it in my outback.  I would most likely rent the gear since i wouldn't be doing it much.  Then if i loved it, id invest in a setup.  I would need to learn a lot, but i like challenges.