Steve in Mass

Commercial Steamer Bed Closures?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

I haven't bought them yet, but was just wondering how S&S pulled this off with all the closures. Big Y also has them for $5.49/lb. Of course with large corporate, who knows, maybe they come from halfway down the coast.

 

The local place was still $8 today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

I haven't bought them yet, but was just wondering how S&S pulled this off with all the closures. Big Y also has them for $5.49/lb. Of course with large corporate, who knows, maybe they come from halfway down the coast.

 

The local place was still $8 today.

They should be able to tell you where they came from, I believe all shellfish must be tagged with that info. ask to see the tag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FizzyFish said:

They should be able to tell you where they came from, I believe all shellfish must be tagged with that info. ask to see the tag. 

This is 100% correct. The tag should have a date of harvest and a bed area number on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

 

Well, that makes sense and all, but what area/region would produce that?

I've seen it in lots of places in NY and RI, I would be surprised if there weren't similar places up and down the coast. I don't know how or why the iron got there. Have you ever seen the clams that look very similar to quahogs but they have a reddish color pattern along the outer edge of the shell? they are often found in large numbers in the same locality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/6/2019 at 2:03 PM, jmarino1432 said:

Rob would know best but from what I’ve seen in my days digging is that the color of the shell is an indicator of the type of sand/mud/clay they live in. The sandier it is, the whiter the shell. The muddier it is, the greyer/darker the shell

That's a good rule of thumb.

Iron rich mud like Mt Hope Bay produces very, very dark quahogs. Mt. Hope bay is where all the relay quahogs come from that are used in the various town's propagation programs. They look pretty when they come out of the water. Shiny and jet black and can be tinged with orange and even a slight gold colour. They do tend to dry to an ugly brown colour. They have large meats in them which are somewhat orange in colour. One market refused to by them from me because she thought they were too ugly for her customer's display cases.

You can also have local black quahogs. Anywhere an iron ore deposit is close to the surface is all it takes.

These are relay quahogs.

 

161.JPG.d7bd4b030764583fda86ae7ffa2c23f1.JPG

 

 

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

I've seen it in lots of places in NY and RI, I would be surprised if there weren't similar places up and down the coast. I don't know how or why the iron got there. Have you ever seen the clams that look very similar to quahogs but they have a reddish color pattern along the outer edge of the shell? they are often found in large numbers in the same locality. 

That red pattern sounds like notata quahogs. Notatas are a cultured clam designed for aquaculture but for all intents and purposes they are a northern quahog. They are just designed to grow faster. They can spawn so you can find their offspring in the wild. The red pattern disappears with age and breeding with wild quahogs.

These are Notata's......Planted by our own Bob.g

179.JPG.83df9fe6025d9b1e49374deed2939aa2.JPG

 

 

Edited by robc22
speeling hehehe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, robc22 said:

 

 

That red pattern sounds like notata quahogs. Notatas are a cultured clam designed for aquaculture but for all intents and purposes they are a northern quahog. They are just designed to grow faster. They can spawn so you can find their offspring in the wild. The red pattern disappears with age and breeding with wild quahogs.

These are Notata's......Planted by our own Bob.g

179.JPG.83df9fe6025d9b1e49374deed2939aa2.JPG

 

 

Yep, those are the ones i was thinking of. No one in RI will buy those quahogs. Personally I've eaten a few and they taste nothing like a regular quahog. Tasted awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

They should be able to tell you where they came from, I believe all shellfish must be tagged with that info. ask to see the tag. 

Yeah, I know they need to be tagged coming in, but you have to realize that most supermarket seafood managers are, well, let's just say they should be in the grocery or produce department, so likely I will get the deer in the headlights look if I were to ask...... ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Yeah, I know they need to be tagged coming in, but you have to realize that most supermarket seafood managers are, well, let's just say they should be in the grocery or produce department, so likely I will get the deer in the headlights look if I were to ask...... ;)

 

My local markets mark the origin of the clams right next to the price. I always just assumed the location they list is right off the tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Yeah, I know they need to be tagged coming in, but you have to realize that most supermarket seafood managers are, well, let's just say they should be in the grocery or produce department, so likely I will get the deer in the headlights look if I were to ask...... ;)

 

https://www.mass.gov/regulations/322-CMR-1600-shellfish-sanitation-harvest-handing-and-management

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:laugh: Guys....we are talking SUPERMARKETS here.....while you and I and small legitimate local fish markets know all this, in a Supermarket, you are gonna get the deer ii headlights look, and frankly, it ain't worth the hassle to pursue it there.

 

That being said, got a pound at Market Basket today that are almost all grey and look good, again. $5/lb

 

I have a pic but gotta download it and see what it looks like from my crappy phone camera.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

:laugh: Guys....we are talking SUPERMARKETS here.....while you and I and small legitimate local fish markets know all this, in a Supermarket, you are gonna get the deer ii headlights look, and frankly, it ain't worth the hassle to pursue it there.

 

That being said, got a pound at Market Basket today that are almost all grey and look good, again. $5/lb

 

I have a pic but gotta download it and see what it looks like from my crappy phone camera.....

3

Lol.....Doesn't mean a thing.......

If they don't have the matching tags on file when the EPO's or state public health checks em, They will lose their product. This happened in the Wareham stop and rob a few years back and they were also cited for having water on the scale.......

Edited by robc22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

:laugh: Guys....we are talking SUPERMARKETS here.....while you and I and small legitimate local fish markets know all this, in a Supermarket, you are gonna get the deer ii headlights look, and frankly, it ain't worth the hassle to pursue it there.

 

That being said, got a pound at Market Basket today that are almost all grey and look good, again. $5/lb

 

I have a pic but gotta download it and see what it looks like from my crappy phone camera.....

what's the problem with asking the question? if they can't answer, ask for the seafood manager. If they can't answer, ask for the store manager. If they can't answer, let them know you'll be calling the state. but i can't see it ever getting that far. like multiple people have stated, the state LAW requires the tags be kept on hand with the batch. It's required so they can back track to the area harvested if anyone gets sick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, robc22 said:

Lol.....Doesn't mean a thing.......

If they don't have the matching tags on file when the EPO's or state public health checks em, They will lose their product. This happened in the Wareham stop and rob a few years back and they were also cited for having water on the scale.......

 

5 mins ago, bradW said:

what's the problem with asking the question? if they can't answer, ask for the seafood manager. If they can't answer, ask for the store manager. If they can't answer, let them know you'll be calling the state. but i can't see it ever getting that far. like multiple people have stated, the state LAW requires the tags be kept on hand with the batch. It's required so they can back track to the area harvested if anyone gets sick.

Sorry, I don't think it is worth the time, effort and aggravation for something as silly as this. It was just a "wondering" question. I am sure these places have the tags, as being as big as they are, they are not gonna risk shady dealings. But asking them to dig them up just out of simply curiosity, hardly worth my time and effort.

 

And BTW, the 1.25 pounds of the ones pictured above are just recently in my belly, and they were fine. As "sweet"  as from my usual place, well no quite, but close and very satisfactory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.