Steve in Mass

Commercial Steamer Bed Closures?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Brad - I am convinced he raised the price last weekend because of Father's Day. On Thursday before they were $3.99/lb, Friday they went to $4.99, Tuesday morning they were back to $3.99.

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

$5.99/lb two days ago, today $7.99. Holiday spike and perhaps more closures?

I was talking to one of the wholesale guys I sell to and he was getting $125 a gallon for shucked steamers. I guess a lot of the stuff up in Maine is shut down. Plus the good old holiday spike 

just saw an article two days ago about red tide sweeping down from Maine. Apparently the whole coast of Maine to just north of the cape is closed?

6 hours ago, bradW said:

just saw an article two days ago about red tide sweeping down from Maine. Apparently the whole coast of Maine to just north of the cape is closed?

Yeah and everyone crying 4 steamers as it is the Fourth. I got a couple of calls asking me if I was jet clamming this year........

Funny part is that Stop and Shop has a sale that starts today for $4.99/lb. Not that I buy fish at Stop and Shop, of all the supermarket chains S&S is about the worst seafood department both price and quality wise.

I did get some steamers at Market Basket this past Monday for $4.99/lb as well, that price runs thru tomorrow. Those were very good.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, robc22 said:

Yeah and everyone crying 4 steamers as it is the Fourth. I got a couple of calls asking me if I was jet clamming this year........

they still allow it? thought they would have outlawed it by now since there really isn't anyone left 

8 mins ago, bradW said:

they still allow it? thought they would have outlawed it by now since there really isn't anyone left 

Haven't done it in years but it still a legal gear type in Bourne

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, was in Stop and Shop today, and indeed they have them for $5/lb......and surprisingly they looked pretty fresh.

Only thing is that unlike what I usually get elsewhere, the shells on these were "rust" colored as opposed to the grey color that I get 90% of the time.. Now, I have seen that before at various times at various places and even had them without disappointment.

But I am wondering if that is an indication of the source? I have seen that on hardshell clams as well at times........

Edited by Steve in Mass

Rob would know best but from what I’ve seen in my days digging is that the color of the shell is an indicator of the type of sand/mud/clay they live in. The sandier it is, the whiter the shell. The muddier it is, the greyer/darker the shell

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

So, was in Stop and Shop today, and indeed they have them for $5/lb......and surprisingly they looked pretty fresh.

Only thing is that unlike what I usually get elsewhere, the shells on these were "rust" colored as opposed to the grey color that I get 90% of the time.. Now, I have seen that before at various times at various places and even had them without disappointment.

But I am wondering if that is an indication of the source? I have seen that on hardshell clams as well at times........

guess what "rust" colored shells come from.

20 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

guess what "rust" colored shells come from.

19 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Iron rich sand.

Well, that makes sense and all, but what area/region would produce that?

35 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Well, that makes sense and all, but what area/region would produce that?

I don't know where your clams were harvested from, but I do know that SE Mass has/had lots of "bog iron"   In fact there is an interesting book " Cannonballs & Cranberries"  by Fredrika A. Burrows on just that subject.