Steve in Mass

Commercial Steamer Bed Closures?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Anyone know the current status? Tried to find it online but couldn't. Was told yesterday that many areas were closed because of all the rain, but while the guy that said it SHOULD know, I think he is full of **** (wouldn't be the first time he was, I guess he thinks he is just talking to some uninformed customer, as in the past he has said stuff that I knew better than to believe.)

Told me the only place they are currently digging is far northern Maine.

I had fresh dug SE mass clams for lunch yesterday. from an open area.   Not store bought   :D

Plenty of recreational areas open in SE Mass. If they are open why would the commercial areas be closed for rainfall events ? 

If you really have to have some you might try some of the smaller local fish markets on CC .

Rain closures affect shellfish beds no matter who harvests the clams from them.

As far as I know, there are no large rain closures in effect in the commonwealth right now.

Okay, this is what I thought. The price bump I saw recently at my usual spot (which is always the freshest and cheapest around) was likely brought on by Father's Day. While I love the store, the manager, and the folks that work there, the actual owner and another guy who may be his son, well, they either have no clue or just think they are pulling one over on folks that don't know fish (of which they get a lot of), cause I have heard them tell me and others stuff before that I was :squid: at. 

1 hour ago, Two Rock said:

As of yesterday dmf shut down all clamming from Boston down to Plymouth because of red tide 

No bueno!!

6B0747D4-E903-46B2-978E-F2644E3725C7.jpeg

So the bigger story here is SIM's fish guy is clairvoyant!

Can he get me the Mega Millions number for tomorrow night?

Funny part is I swung by said fish market today just to look, and the price dropped a buck. I swear the owner is full of ****, and it was just the holiday bump last weekend. wouldn't be the first time he or his brother told me stupid stuff. I feel bad for his father that started the business, at least he was truthful on stuff.

But how ironic on the new stuff today........

11 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Funny part is I swung by said fish market today just to look, and the price dropped a buck. I swear the owner is full of ****, and it was just the holiday bump last weekend. wouldn't be the first time he or his brother told me stupid stuff. I feel bad for his father that started the business, at least he was truthful on stuff.

Never trust a fishmonger you don't know! They will tell you the clams came from Trump's butt if they think that would make you buy them!.......:thumbd:

Oh, I know the guy and this market usually has top quality fish, albeit their finfish is a bit pricey. For some reason those high prices are not reflected in their shell fish, which is always top quality. It is just that the 2nd generation guy either knows nothing about fish or just out and out lies. Their buyers are good and they are at the various fish piers in both Boston and RI on a daily basis.

18 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

he probably dropped the price to get rid of his stock before that news on red tide hits the papers. cause even though what he has is clean stuff, bad press like that effects peoples desire to eat any shellfish. at least that's the case for the average person, not the hardcore fan.