Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ByronPA

BOW-FISHING

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

For the first time in a long time the river behind my place has cleared up a little and the level is somewhat manageable, though that will change with the current rain. Last night there were a couple guys out in their boat, the huge floodlights lighting up the water as they drifted down through. I didn't see them stick anything and it started raining shortly afterwards so I presume they called it quits.

 

I've always thought that bow-fishing was akin to shooting deer from the road with a spotlight, except the deer might actually get eaten. Here in PA the daily limit on carp, catfish, quillbacks and suckers is 50 combined species. I suppose a few get eaten, a few end up as fertilizer, but I'd guess most end up as rodent/scavenger food on the bank somewhere. 

 

My personal feelings aside, it seems to be an up and coming activity. Almost all the local boat dealers have at least one or two models in stock that are specifically designed for bow fishing and there are numerous tournaments and events around here.   

 

 Anyone here into it?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, ByronPA said:

For the first time in a long time the river behind my place has cleared up a little and the level is somewhat manageable, though that will change with the current rain. Last night there were a couple guys out in their boat, the huge floodlights lighting up the water as they drifted down through. I didn't see them stick anything and it started raining shortly afterwards so I presume they called it quits.

 

I've always thought that bow-fishing was akin to shooting deer from the road with a spotlight, except the deer might actually get eaten. Here in PA the daily limit on carp, catfish, quillbacks and suckers is 50 combined species. I suppose a few get eaten, a few end up as fertilizer, but I'd guess most end up as rodent/scavenger food on the bank somewhere. 

 

My personal feelings aside, it seems to be an up and coming activity. Almost all the local boat dealers have at least one or two models in stock that are specifically designed for bow fishing and there are numerous tournaments and events around here.   

 

 Anyone here into it?? 

Used to no in hs and college.  Never at night or with a specific boat rigged for it

 

Carp are an invasive species that eff up the river

No qualms killing them.

 

Used to shoot groundhogs for fun too.  Does that get your panties in a bunch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Sandflee said:

can you shoot carp from a porch? asking for a friend

Deer, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, skunks and feral cat?   Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.  Aint never seen no carps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, JaseB said:

Used to no in hs and college.  Never at night or with a specific boat rigged for it

 

Carp are an invasive species that eff up the river

No qualms killing them.

 

Used to shoot groundhogs for fun too.  Does that get your panties in a bunch?

No need to be concerned about my panties, though I appreciate the thought. Don't get me wrong, I fish and hunt thus I kill, sometimes. My beef is more the waste. 

Guess I never thought of carp as invasive species anymore than I did of rainbow or brown trout, or smallmouth bass for that matter. And whistle pigs are quite tasty. 

 

12 mins ago, Sandflee said:

can you shoot carp from a porch? asking for a friend

Yes, although a 410 works better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, ByronPA said:

No need to be concerned about my panties, though I appreciate the thought. Don't get me wrong, I fish and hunt thus I kill, sometimes. My beef is more the waste. 

Guess I never thought of carp as invasive species anymore than I did of rainbow or brown trout, or smallmouth bass for that matter. And whistle pigs are quite tasty. 

 

Yes, although a 410 works better. 

one mans waste another mans treasure (in the UK those guys will spend a year at a lake to catch 2 carp)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i did it for a couple years when i was 13 or 14, and then only for the shad that had spawned out and were swimming around on top waiting to die. i helped a few of them out. totally useless for food. just something to do to occupy free time and sharpen bow skills. i don't think i'd ever do it again. its not as easy as it looks though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about pitchfork fishing? There's a field near here where the CT river floods at times of high water. When I was a kid I used to wade in the overflow with a pitchfork chasing carp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

How about pitchfork fishing? There's a field near here where the CT river floods at times of high water. When I was a kid I used to wade in the overflow with a pitchfork chasing carp.  

that actually sounds like more fun.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

How about pitchfork fishing? There's a field near here where the CT river floods at times of high water. When I was a kid I used to wade in the overflow with a pitchfork chasing carp.  

Like gigging? 

DB2E497A-7C2A-4F75-95A0-E3C982637F99.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

How about pitchfork fishing? There's a field near here where the CT river floods at times of high water. When I was a kid I used to wade in the overflow with a pitchfork chasing carp.  

It's called a gig,  couple different styles. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it a long time ago. Basically just to have done it. All of the fletching fell off of my arrow. I was going to show my girl. There are some monster carp out back.

I had a spare but 25 years ago I shot a ground hog with it and it took it in to its hole. Come to think of it I prolly shouldnt draw that bow. I think I tossed it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.