Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ByronPA

BOW-FISHING

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

For the first time in a long time the river behind my place has cleared up a little and the level is somewhat manageable, though that will change with the current rain. Last night there were a couple guys out in their boat, the huge floodlights lighting up the water as they drifted down through. I didn't see them stick anything and it started raining shortly afterwards so I presume they called it quits.

I've always thought that bow-fishing was akin to shooting deer from the road with a spotlight, except the deer might actually get eaten. Here in PA the daily limit on carp, catfish, quillbacks and suckers is 50 combined species. I suppose a few get eaten, a few end up as fertilizer, but I'd guess most end up as rodent/scavenger food on the bank somewhere. 

My personal feelings aside, it seems to be an up and coming activity. Almost all the local boat dealers have at least one or two models in stock that are specifically designed for bow fishing and there are numerous tournaments and events around here.   

Anyone here into it?? 

12 mins ago, ByronPA said:

For the first time in a long time the river behind my place has cleared up a little and the level is somewhat manageable, though that will change with the current rain. Last night there were a couple guys out in their boat, the huge floodlights lighting up the water as they drifted down through. I didn't see them stick anything and it started raining shortly afterwards so I presume they called it quits.

I've always thought that bow-fishing was akin to shooting deer from the road with a spotlight, except the deer might actually get eaten. Here in PA the daily limit on carp, catfish, quillbacks and suckers is 50 combined species. I suppose a few get eaten, a few end up as fertilizer, but I'd guess most end up as rodent/scavenger food on the bank somewhere. 

My personal feelings aside, it seems to be an up and coming activity. Almost all the local boat dealers have at least one or two models in stock that are specifically designed for bow fishing and there are numerous tournaments and events around here.   

Anyone here into it?? 

Used to no in hs and college.  Never at night or with a specific boat rigged for it

Carp are an invasive species that eff up the river

No qualms killing them.

Used to shoot groundhogs for fun too.  Does that get your panties in a bunch?

15 mins ago, Sandflee said:

can you shoot carp from a porch? asking for a friend

Deer, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, skunks and feral cat?   Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.  Aint never seen no carps.

15 mins ago, JaseB said:

Used to no in hs and college.  Never at night or with a specific boat rigged for it

Carp are an invasive species that eff up the river

No qualms killing them.

Used to shoot groundhogs for fun too.  Does that get your panties in a bunch?

No need to be concerned about my panties, though I appreciate the thought. Don't get me wrong, I fish and hunt thus I kill, sometimes. My beef is more the waste. 

Guess I never thought of carp as invasive species anymore than I did of rainbow or brown trout, or smallmouth bass for that matter. And whistle pigs are quite tasty. 

12 mins ago, Sandflee said:

can you shoot carp from a porch? asking for a friend

Yes, although a 410 works better. 

31 mins ago, ByronPA said:

No need to be concerned about my panties, though I appreciate the thought. Don't get me wrong, I fish and hunt thus I kill, sometimes. My beef is more the waste. 

Guess I never thought of carp as invasive species anymore than I did of rainbow or brown trout, or smallmouth bass for that matter. And whistle pigs are quite tasty. 

Yes, although a 410 works better. 

one mans waste another mans treasure (in the UK those guys will spend a year at a lake to catch 2 carp)

i did it for a couple years when i was 13 or 14, and then only for the shad that had spawned out and were swimming around on top waiting to die. i helped a few of them out. totally useless for food. just something to do to occupy free time and sharpen bow skills. i don't think i'd ever do it again. its not as easy as it looks though.

How about pitchfork fishing? There's a field near here where the CT river floods at times of high water. When I was a kid I used to wade in the overflow with a pitchfork chasing carp.  

1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

How about pitchfork fishing? There's a field near here where the CT river floods at times of high water. When I was a kid I used to wade in the overflow with a pitchfork chasing carp.  

that actually sounds like more fun.  

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

Like gigging? 

DB2E497A-7C2A-4F75-95A0-E3C982637F99.jpeg

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

It's called a gig,  couple different styles. 

I did it a long time ago. Basically just to have done it. All of the fletching fell off of my arrow. I was going to show my girl. There are some monster carp out back.

I had a spare but 25 years ago I shot a ground hog with it and it took it in to its hole. Come to think of it I prolly shouldnt draw that bow. I think I tossed it out.