Rod transporting

Rate this topic

Simply Addicted

33 mins ago, Simply Addicted said:

I had the same question. Also would be concerned about bouncing around. I literally just bought bubble wrap to wrap my rods individually before putting them in my cargo carrier. Problem is as I get larger rods especially a 70/30 split rod they won't fit in the carrier. My 10' barely fits now in the carrier and it's 50/50 split. I just got a 10'6" speed master and I think those extra 6 inches will cause a problem 

I may be zip tieing but that scares me to.

I might buy thick styrofoam padding, cut recesses into it and zip tie that to the bars so the rods have some cushion. Maybe with pvc pipe split down the middle I can have a locking mechanism near the reel area so they don't go anywhere and can even be locked

I was thinking one of the harbor freight Pelican case clones to house the reels.  That should keep them from knocking around.

2 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

The bazuka fits just the rods but no reels?  Put the reels in a separate case?

Yes if you are traveling on vacation definitely pack the reels separately.  I guess for every day use it would be a pain.  I use the Bazooka for long distance traveling.  For every day use I just put them in the back seat or between the front and back is they are surf rods

26 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

This is my current setup.

In the past on vehicles with a factory roof racks i mounted tubes on the rear rack.then velcro ed a piece of foam with notches in it to the front.

Worked for years.

Minuses.......

Going to breakfast or using restrooms after fishing ....

Screenshot_20180520-162620.png

This is perfect now only if I had a truck and not an SUV,!

Why minuses or breakfast and restroom? Worried someone would steal your stuff if it wasn't locked down the old way on the roof?

Just now, cheech said:

I made this inexpensive travel/storage case for with 4” schedule 20 drain pipe. Be aware, some airlines like Copa, don’t allow reels in carry ons!

3C5C8CAC-124B-4EBB-ADE7-D558697DB9E1.jpeg

This is what I'm considering also and clamping it down to my rack. Did you bubble wrap or add anything inside to protect your rods? I plan on traveling with maybe 3 for my upcoming trip

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Just noticed my old rack under the boat.

I bolted it to the rear roof rack then velcro ed a square piece of foam to the front one.

Cut notches in foam and velcro rods down around everything. 

Used for years without a mishap.

20190619_182410.jpg

This is very similar to what I plan on building tomorrow! Thanks for posting! Did you find ubolts that matched the width of your rear rack? Plan on exploring the Depot in the morning for parts

Nice rig! 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.