Rod transporting

Rate this topic

Simply Addicted

Curious on what kind of setups you all had for rod transportation.

Going on vacation I've tried many methods from tieing strings in the SUV and hanging them along the interior of the inside roof to putting them in my overhead thule carrier...

I'm mostly interested in the ski style gear or any custom built carriers for your roof racks. I'm thinking about something custom using pvc and styrofoam of some kind. What have you all done? Any photos to share!?

I know you're all a very creative bunch love to hear it!

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

That’s a neat idea. But with suction cups?  I’d be concerned that they would come loose 

Edited by Birdsnester

13 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

That’s a neat idea. But with suction cups?  I’d be concerned that they would come loose 

I've not had a problem with the suction cups provided I wipe the surface first.  They do magnetic bases too which is fine as long as your muscle car doesn't have carbon fiber panels.

44 mins ago, Portland Bill said:

I've not had a problem with the suction cups provided I wipe the surface first.  They do magnetic bases too which is fine as long as your muscle car doesn't have carbon fiber panels.

LOL, no my 73 Challenger is all metal LOL

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I think this is awesome, saw that on the website. Have to had any issues with the magnets? Definitely not the cheapest solution but very clean.... And honestly badass

39 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

The bazuka fits just the rods but no reels?  Put the reels in a separate case?

I had the same question. Also would be concerned about bouncing around. I literally just bought bubble wrap to wrap my rods individually before putting them in my cargo carrier. Problem is as I get larger rods especially a 70/30 split rod they won't fit in the carrier. My 10' barely fits now in the carrier and it's 50/50 split. I just got a 10'6" speed master and I think those extra 6 inches will cause a problem 

I may be zip tieing but that scares me to.

I might buy thick styrofoam padding, cut recesses into it and zip tie that to the bars so the rods have some cushion. Maybe with pvc pipe split down the middle I can have a locking mechanism near the reel area so they don't go anywhere and can even be locked