ksong

Rod testing trip to Cape cod canal

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I heard Canal bites were crazy this morning. The only reason I can think of was I was not there.  It proves again and again that I am a human banana. :)

I had to drive down to NJ this morning as I have lots of things to do before I leave for Alaska on Sat.

Bunch of guys got striper using Black Hole USA surf rods. I will post pictures of their catches.

I used 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special rod for the Canal. Though I did not catch any striper with the rod,  but I feel the rod can do plugging as light as 1 1/2 oz and jigging as heavy as 5 oz - 6 oz.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, ksong said:

I heard Canal bites were crazy this morning. The only reason I can think of was I was not there.  It proves again and again that I am a human banana. :)

I had to drive down to NJ this morning as I have lots of things to do before I leave for Alaska on Sat.

Bunch of guys got striper using Black Hole USA surf rods. I will post pictures of their catches.

I used 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special rod for the Canal. Though I did not catch any striper with the rod,  but I feel the rod can do plugging as light as 1 1/2 oz and jigging as heavy as 5 oz - 6 oz.

This is better than live reports i was getting on Facebook. I will be down there with my crew..thanks

Edited by chewwy

Here is a video I took in Buzzard Bay yesterday.

I think the light one-piece rods can handle much bigger striper though they are designed for schoolie striper or fluke from the shore.

I am thinking about developing ultra light 8' Suzuki rod after testing the 8' Black Hole Suzuki Light rods

40 mins ago, ksong said:

I am thinking about developing ultra light 8' Suzuki rod after testing the 8' Black Hole Suzuki Light rods

I'd be very interested, the action on the 8' light looks more like Medium Heavy, I want something like an 8' 1/4-1oz with a moderate fast bend to it.

6 hours ago, chewwy said:

This is better than live reports i was getting on Facebook. I will be down there with my crew..thanks

More than a little annoying. Why post reports the same day Kil?

9 hours ago, ksong said:

I am away till after the weekend but I am glad you posted this so everyone else can read it, should make things a little more “ cozy “ down there. Another reason I won’t go there once a schoolies goes through and everyone posts about it

now I know it is a well known spot and everyone knows about it but geez Kil. You’re gonna ruffle some feathers with this thread  

I did not post any pictures with background. I did not report where hot bites are. Yesterday's hot spot is like lottery number used :)

I observed that even experienced fishermen don't show etiquette.  Two anglers came down even there was no space and constantly tangle with other anglers by releasing too much line. 

They must know the area very well and fish in the Canal for long. 

Edited by ksong

27 mins ago, ksong said:

I did not post any pictures with background. I did not report where hot bites are. Yesterday's hot spot is like lottery number used :)

I observed that even experienced fishermen don't show etiquette.  Two anglers came down even there was no space and constantly tangle with other anglers by releasing too much line. 

They must know the area very well and fish in the Canal for long. 

You posted plenty enough clues to burn several spots and contribute to the influx of people invading that stretch. While promoting your rods, please show some respect for the people whose waters you’re fishing.  

Edited by rbart

Do you believe that any secret spot exist there ?

Influx of fishermen are there already.  Cape Cod Canal is a kind of mecca for striper fishermen. Everybody knows it.  

When any fishermen want to travel to fish there, I like them to have right etiquette and right attitude. 

I observed that NJ fishermen were doing very well though they are not familiar with the area.

I think they are very experienced surf fishermen and they know what they are doing.

I test my rods all around the world and Cape Cod is one of them. 

So many selfish, don’t burn my spot bro posters on here, it’s amazing. I’m

new to these forums, but not to fishing, and the overall lack of community and support is dumbfounding. KSong is one of the best fishers around, and makes amazing tackle for us to enjoy, yet people are butthurt that he’s talking about fishing the canal, which every fisher in New England knows

about. Y’all gotta get a little more chill and a lot less defensive. It’s just fishing. 

Canal is a touchy subject with everyone but the guys who don’t have respect for their fellow fishermen. I am not saying that is you Kil, from what I have read from your posts you are a very respectable fisherman. It is the majority of the “ new “ crowd that doesn’t give a shi* about anyone else’s personal space. The crowd who surfs the internet looking for reports and places to go. It has become a circus for the “ I want to catch a fish “ crowd where morals go right out the window. There is no consideration for fellow anglers down there anymore. I bet back in the day this behavior would not be tolerated and violators would be dealt with swiftly but with courtesy. Lol

I don’t own the Canal and it’s a free world and everyone can fish where ever and however close they effin want. I have a wife to snuggle with and I don’t need to snuggle next to some douche who comes down the rocks at 6 am wearing 500 dollar waders that still have the tag on them. A Batman belt with every possible contraption hanging from it and a chest mounted GoPro and cellphone on speed dial to all his buddies