ksong

Rod testing trip to Cape cod canal

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

After staying Montauk a couple of days with my family I directly drove to Cape Cod Canal to fish with my friends.

I fished from 2 am to 6 am. Carlos had a nice 32 lb with Al Gag jig using 10' Black Hole East Coast Special 2oz - 6 oz rod.  As soon as I left to rest. Bites were on, mostly on jigs. :)

I had breakfast with Al Gag, Butch Nappi, Faniel Tereso, Rich, Kevin and Carlos. All are hardcore fisher.en.

I am fullly rested and am ready to fish tonight.

20190617_033050.jpg

20190617_052139.jpg

20190617_080023.jpg

20190617_091944.jpg

Edited by ksong

Ksong, I don't think you could run up more miles traveling if you lived in the International Space Station. 

Have fun. 

I fished from the beach in Cape cod and am heading for Cape cod canal for early morning  bite 

I cast 1 1/2 oz SP minnow with 11'Black Hole Striped Bass Special rod and cast is great 

20190618_003557.jpg

I missed Canal fishing in the morning as we fished from the beach until 2 am. 

Dan Evan sent a picture of 46 lb striper caught in the Canal last week.  He used 10' Black Hole Surf II Heavy rod.

danevan46lb.jpg

2 hours ago, ksong said:

I missed good bites this morning as my fishing buddy could'nt wake up.  I must be human banana. :)

Yep they  were pushing squid till about 9 am

I fished on a boat yesterday. It was an good opportunity to test 8' prototype ultra light rod.  We fought and released 15 lb striper and I hooked up a big striper on SP Minnow using the rod. It took a lot of line, but it pulled the hook after fighting 5 minutes. 

Canal fishing was slow this morning. What do you expect when I am fishing. :)

Shawn sent me pictures of 42 lb striper fishing in the Canal last night using 10' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz rod. He is doing very well with other NJ fishermen catching and releasing bunch of stripers using the same rod.

20190618_165858.jpg

20190618_165900.jpg

20190618_170106.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

On 6/18/2019 at 2:10 AM, RockRonin said:

Kil, you have one of the best Jobs in the world...I guess you know that though.

I don't complain though it is extremely hard job. :)

After slow Canal fishing today, I went striped bass fishing on myprotp friend Reily's boat.  We found big school of striper and it was nonstop for an hour though they were not big.

Reilly used 8'6" prototype Black Hole ultra light rod rated to 1 1/2 oz and I used 8' Black Hole Suzuki Light rod.

Here is a video of Reilly's fighting small striper using the 8' prototype rod.

7 mins ago, ksong said:

After slow Canal fishing today

Canal is getting back to normal. A few “good” days a month, and a lot of hard work in between. I am seeing very low success rates on most days.