Trout rod and line --Small to Mediun stream

Rate this topic

jimmythe bee

If you go to detteflies dot com and click on the info tab, then the daily report option, you'll go to a page that lists all the streams in that area. When you click on a stream it will take you to the USGS site for that stream. Great information all in one place.

1 hour ago, smath said:

If you go to detteflies dot com and click on the info tab, then the daily report option, you'll go to a page that lists all the streams in that area. When you click on a stream it will take you to the USGS site for that stream. Great information all in one place.

I second that!

these types of reports are so factual it makes our own local saltwater reports sound like they are written by a caveman 

Quote-

We have never seen a June like this with the low temperatures stretching the Spring hatches into what is normally early summer conditions. As we usually see it, the best dry fly activity is in the evening with spotty day time activity. The nymph fishing has been great  during the day, most of all if the sun comes out.

Hatches are currently Green Drakes (8), Isonychia (8 - 10), Blue Sedge Caddis (14), Sulphurs (14), March Browns (8 - 10), Gray Foxes (14), Tan Caddis (16 - 18),  Blue Quills (18), Yellow Sallies (14 - 16), midges (22 - 24), Beetles and Ants.

Beaverkill / Willowemoc Rivers

The Beaverkill and Willowemoc are clear and wadeable. The flow at Cooks Falls is 809 cfs with a water temperature of 56.1 degrees.

March Browns have been hatching intermittently providing good prospecting with big dry flies as well as nymphing on big nymphs. The evening has offered good activity and spinner falls of some of the larger bugs! The inonychia nymphs have offered some excellent nymph fishing as of late.

-unquote

18 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Timing is everything. I just got a rod for free (Company rewards/recognition program) a Fenwick HMG 8' 4 weight. Took it out on our lake today to try to catch largemouth bass on it. Disclaimer; I haven't fished anything less than a 7 weight in over 50 years. So, how far should you be able to cast a popper with such a rod? I struggled mightily to get like 40' unless I put like a panfish popper on. On the backcast I felt nothing; it was like trying to cast yarn with no rod. I got it to fish brookies in Va. with my son, is small stream fishing all these light short rods are good for? Before you go off on my casting i just finished a build on a 9 weight and threw 100' with 2 false casts, so unless there is a radibcally different kind of cast I don't think that's the issue...sorry if I hijack...thanks

stormy, you might try overlining it if it feels like a feather. big flies are hard to cast with a lighter rod. (as if you don't know that)

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

jimmy--I'm the cheapskate around here. on small streams, I like a glass rod because distance isn't critical and every trout feels huge on glass. Eagle Claw makes a bright yellow 5w called Featherlight that feels like a 3 or 4w because it's so soft. $25 at Walmart. also glass is tougher and less brittle than graphite, if I'm not mistaken. 

I bought a couple trout rods this spring.  I grabbed the Avantt 905 and the G Series 885.  The Avantt is good for mid to longer range.  I like the G Series for in close.

While floating the Upper D I was able to make a perfect cast with the GS at about 30’.  I’m getting it dialed in for shorter shots for an upcoming wade trip.

I grabbed the Eagle Claw Featherlight for my daughter to play with in the yard.  Every time we mess around with it I think about upgrading the line and taking it out on our next brookie trip.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:24 PM, jimmythe bee said:

I fished in Roscoe,NY  last week ,I felt my 5/6 setup was oversized compared to a few locals I saw. These guys were fishing 20 ft from where they stood.

Next time I would like to be prepared---what's a good setup for this type of fishing?

I rarely fish less than a 5wt in Roscoe. When I was there couple of weeks ago, I mostly fished an 8’ 6-weight.  It was pure joy.  Over the last couple of decades, people have gotten fooled into thinking that lighter line weights are the way to go.  It’s really a foolish idea, mostly promoted by the rod manufacturers so they can sell you yet another rod.

if you want a delicate presentation, use the right leader, not a lighter line weight.   If you want to enjoy playing the fish more, pick the right rod action, and, consider trying glass or bamboo.

Edited by gadabout

After fly fishing 30 plus years in central Pennsylvania, and going thru a BUNCH of rods, I have found I only needed two.... I ended up with a Scott G 9’ 5wt and a Scott G 6’10” 4wt. (They are 20 years old now and still going strong...) the pair will do it all for trout. Granted, they are a slower action rod, but I always loved the way load..... Don’t over think it! Like all of us do....

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

On 6/19/2019 at 2:22 PM, Uncle Stu said:

stormy, you might try overlining it if it feels like a feather. big flies are hard to cast with a lighter rod. (as if you don't know that)

Well I tied up some small (to me) gurglers on a #10 hook, stopped trying to double haul it like it was a 9 weight and lo and behold...

abass.jpg.549d75efd6dd99300604e23de8ec865f.jpg

I can't cast it like my 7 weight, but hella fun playing these LMBs on it!

18 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Well I tied up some small (to me) gurglers on a #10 hook, stopped trying to double haul it like it was a 9 weight and lo and behold...

I can't cast it like my 7 weight, but hella fun playing these LMBs on it!

Sweet! I've been casting my 5w for surf perch lately (they run smaller in summer) and having a blast. 

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:10 PM, jimmythe bee said:

I picked up an Orvis Encounter 9' 5wt online, they were on sale at Bass Pro,   has anyone used one of these --- this will be for larger and faster streams,

Bass Pro threw me the curve ball, they took my order,then said it was out of stock, then told me it was discontinued and they can't make good on the sale..

They have one less customer tonight,never buy there again.  :rav::waah:

On 6/23/2019 at 5:41 PM, Inshore said:

After fly fishing 30 plus years in central Pennsylvania, and going thru a BUNCH of rods, I have found I only needed two.... I ended up with a Scott G 9’ 5wt and a Scott G 6’10” 4wt. (They are 20 years old now and still going strong...) the pair will do it all for trout. Granted, they are a slower action rod, but I always loved the way load..... Don’t over think it! Like all of us do....

That could be where I end up

assuming I don’t opt to fish streamers on a bigger river