jimmythe bee

Trout rod and line --Small to Mediun stream

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fished in Roscoe,NY  last week ,I felt my 5/6 setup was oversized compared to a few locals I saw. These guys were fishing 20 ft from where they stood.

Next time I would like to be prepared---what's a good setup for this type of fishing?

Edited by jimmythe bee

I have an echo 3 7ft 6in 3 wt that I love to use on smaller streams. But if you do a lot of nymphing it may benefit you to have a longer rod. I have caught some 16-19in trout on my 3 wt that was a blast. 

Edited by crowconor

17 mins ago, crowconor said:

I have an echo 3 7ft 6in 3 wt that I love to use on smaller streams. But if you do a lot of nymphing it may benefit you to have a longer rod. I have caught some 16-19in trout on my 3 wt that was a blast. 

I was thinking a 3 or 4 wt graphite  8 or 8.5', some clear wf line, 6x tippet and reading glasses to see what i'm doing.

I will be going  cheap most likely, I live in Queens/NYC so the trout are miles away----I can shoot up there every once in a while.

Edited by jimmythe bee

If you are looking to save some money I would recommend checking out the Redington Classic Trout. This spring I picked up the 6 piece 8' 3wt for hiking trips and have been happy with it so far. They also have 4 piece 7'6", 8' and 8'6" versions. The rod has a more moderate action which some aren't' a fan of but I think works well for small streams.

40 mins ago, vanburenboys said:

If you are looking to save some money I would recommend checking out the Redington Classic Trout. This spring I picked up the 6 piece 8' 3wt for hiking trips and have been happy with it so far. They also have 4 piece 7'6", 8' and 8'6" versions. The rod has a more moderate action which some aren't' a fan of but I think works well for small streams.

For the moment I ordered a cheapo 3/4 graphite for practice around my area,I really need to get the presentation thing down for the trout. My fellow fishermen upstate were very gracious as I flailed around wildly for a bit. :rav:

Edited by jimmythe bee

10 hours ago, jimmythe bee said:

I fished in Roscoe,NY  last week ,I felt my 5/6 setup was oversized compared to a few locals I saw. These guys were fishing 20 ft from where they stood.

Next time I would like to be prepared---what's a good setup for this type of fishing?

Really depends what stream and stretch you were fishing and the range of things you could be throwing, plus the water level and the extent of how much wading you can do 

For me, 5 wt 9 foot is the standard if you think you’ll need to throw nymphs to some dries on most of the Beaverkill or Willowemoc.

4 weight 8 foot if you think you’ll be focused on smaller streams and dries that day and can easily wade to get close enough for a best presentation 

I was on a small, slow moving stream ,only had time to fish one spot as we were traveling.

I hope to be drifting streamers in faster water eventually , i'll spend a little money on a pole for that.

7 hours ago, jimmythe bee said:

I was on a small, slow moving stream ,only had time to fish one spot as we were traveling.

I hope to be drifting streamers in faster water eventually , i'll spend a little money on a pole for that.

The Roscoe area offers a variety of streams and stream conditions. The level of water flow also matter significantly 

most everybody “ checks the flow before they go”

last year I got a TFO Pro II 9 ft 5 wt and I’m still very happy with it.

do t judge your brief visit 

these streams change and the bugs ( or lack thereof) change hour by hour 

3 hours ago, JohnP said:

The Roscoe area offers a variety of streams and stream conditions. The level of water flow also matter significantly 

most everybody “ checks the flow before they go”

last year I got a TFO Pro II 9 ft 5 wt and I’m still very happy with it.

do t judge your brief visit 

these streams change and the bugs ( or lack thereof) change hour by hour 

where do you check the flow info and what is optimal---it is a 130 mile ride from home for me

Edited by jimmythe bee

Timing is everything. I just got a rod for free (Company rewards/recognition program) a Fenwick HMG 8' 4 weight. Took it out on our lake today to try to catch largemouth bass on it. Disclaimer; I haven't fished anything less than a 7 weight in over 50 years. So, how far should you be able to cast a popper with such a rod? I struggled mightily to get like 40' unless I put like a panfish popper on. On the backcast I felt nothing; it was like trying to cast yarn with no rod. I got it to fish brookies in Va. with my son, is small stream fishing all these light short rods are good for? Before you go off on my casting i just finished a build on a 9 weight and threw 100' with 2 false casts, so unless there is a radibcally different kind of cast I don't think that's the issue...sorry if I hijack...thanks

^^^

as I mentioned before, one guy was casting 15 -20 ft while wadind up the edge of the hole---and he got a decent fish for his efforts.

I'm new in the trout game,i was standing ankle deep or on the shore.

I did feel the nothingness when I switched to a standard 5/6 line---I got one hit but pulled the hook out, most likely

3 hours ago, jimmythe bee said:

where do you check the flow info and what is optimal---it is a 130 mile ride from home for me

The Delaware River Club has a blog on flows, temps and hatch activity. It’s now my go to. A couple of other shops have similar. 

You can use the links to get almost real time flow information 

It’s quite refreshing...a non-hype factual fishing report. They will even advise you NOT to fish when temps get too high or conditions not good 

For me Each stream has an optimal (personal favorite) flow rate. For some smaller streams I found you can interpolate, but this is where it pays to visit streams. Like now I really know what a West Branch 800 flow or a 1500 flow feels like, and with a bit of additional info on recent rainfall you can make an educated guess on some smaller streams. 

65CD59B4-BC25-4492-B99F-C4E810D98D6E.jpeg

Edited by JohnP

24 mins ago, JohnP said:

The Delaware River Club has a blog on flows, temps and hatch activity. It’s now my go to. A couple of other shops have similar. 

You can use the links to get almost real time flow information 

It’s quite refreshing...a non-hype factual fishing report. They will even advise you NOT to fish when temps get too high or conditions not good 

For me Each stream has an optimal (personal favorite) flow rate. For some smaller streams I found you can interpolate, but this is where it pays to visit streams. Like now I really know what a West Branch 800 flow or a 1500 flow feels like, and with a bit of additional info on recent rainfall you can make an educated guess on some smaller streams. 

65CD59B4-BC25-4492-B99F-C4E810D98D6E.jpeg

Many Thanks, JohnP.