drmevo

Fly fishing from the kayak (seated)

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I had my second outing with my fly rod yesterday, and I decided to take it out in my kayak. I brought my usual tube & worm setup and spinning rod for tossing lures as a backup, but I was determined to stick to the fly rod for at least the early part of the morning. I have a Hobie Revo 13, and while it's plenty stable for what it is you're not going to be standing and casting from it. What it lacks in stability for standing, it makes up for in speed for chasing fast-moving bait schools, though.  I lucked out and very shortly after launching I was surrounded by birds and bait. I managed about 10 schoolies with my pitifully short casts using a small sand eel pattern.  

This was a blast - definitely more challenging/rewarding than tossing small lures but it also came with some headaches. I was stripping line between by legs onto the center hatch which is nice and flat, and that worked out OK for the most part, but it was difficult to keep the line from looping on itself and tangling. Does the line need to break in? Or is there something I can do to help avoid this?

The second issue I ran into was managing my 9' 8 weight rod. If I had to clear a tangle at the rod tip it was difficult to do without dunking the reel (I actually did dunk it really briefly, so made sure to take the spool off and thoroughly rinse it afterwards). Also getting the fish close the kayak without high-sticking was tough. Is a shorter rod recommended? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I tried a shorter rod and went back to 9ft. Once the fish is beat and moving towards you I try and grab the line and handline the fish in. I often payout some line so not to put the tip at a severe angle.

When casting/fishing I tend to put a leg over the side to give myself more room between my legs for the line. Stretching the line beforehand can help too if its prone to coiling. As can trailing it behind the kayak as you paddle without a fly. 

The good news is that you don't have to cast that far and the 180 drive in the hobie means you can sneak up to fish or a feature, put out a cast and then slowly back out to give your fly more swim time.

Edited by JRT

I have fished from a kayak and use a 9' rod.  I feel like I need the length to keep it off the water--however a water load on the back cast can give you some extra distance.

I use a towel, dunk it and then wring it out and lay it across my lap.  It works pretty well for collecting the line.  The moisture is key, lubricates the fly line and gives the towel some weight.  

I tend to shift my fishing from very complicated, try it, realize too complicated and go to very simple.  The key for my and kayak fishing is to have the basics....besides safety gear...couple of flies, not too many, extra leader and some pliers.  

I'll second sticking to the 9' 8 weight rod.  If I have a tangle I just move the reel towards the back bringing the tip towards me  and work the tangle out from my seat. No biggie.  Also,  when water turns warmer, depending on the water depth, I found that in the shallows I'm more comfortable jumping out of yak and towing it while sight fishing.    So the 9 foot is so useful.  

I use a 8'9" TFO Clouser Rod in the yak which works well. I have also use the 9' rod.

Perhaps a 9'6"rod would work well. I have a Kakaza yak from South Africa which is extremely fast and has no trouble keeping up with the sea yaks. 

FishHawk

23 mins ago, JRT said:

I tried a shorter rod and went back to 9ft. Once the fish is beat and moving towards you I try and grab the line and handline the fish in. I often payout some line so not to put the tip at a severe angle.

When casting/fishing I tend to put a leg over the side to give myself more room between my legs for the line. Stretching the line beforehand can help too if its prone to coiling. As can trailing it behind the kayak as you paddle without a fly. 

The good news is that you don't have to cast that far and the 180 drive in the hobie means you can sneak up to fish or a feature, put out a cast and then slowly back out to give your fly more swim time.

Cool, thanks. I ended up doing some of what you're mentioning, like handlining and using the kayak to get a little more line out. I'll need to try stretching the line out., 

10 mins ago, nedakjohn said:

I have fished from a kayak and use a 9' rod.  I feel like I need the length to keep it off the water--however a water load on the back cast can give you some extra distance.

I definitely found that to be true.

19 mins ago, yankeefisherman said:

Also,  when water turns warmer, depending on the water depth, I found that in the shallows I'm more comfortable jumping out of yak and towing it while sight fishing.    So the 9 foot is so useful.  

I thought about doing that when I was in shallow but I didn't have a stripping basket and there was too much current to try to use my kayak to strip line in to. Do you bring a basket with you?

Definitely stretch the line before you get in the yak and fish it. I always use a 9' 9wt. , unless there's NO chance of bigger fish. I use a large piece of plastic  over my legs. If I get the dreaded tip tangle , I take apart the rod at the middle ferrule. So much easier.  Hope you get a good sleigh ride one of these days.  My Wilderness Systems Pamlico is tough to get in and out of unless your very near shore, so I just stay in it  with rare exceptions.   I could see bringing a basket strapped on the deck.  Might do that next week in the Merrimack.

2 hours ago, HillTop said:

From a thread in the SOL Kayaking Forum.

HT

ksb.jpg.754009cffd8e27fdbe2d115b19dcc75c.jpg

This worked out great for me. It’s a very simple install and remove. 

The line you can stretch small lengths at a time to get rid of coils. 

17 hours ago, HillTop said:

From a thread in the SOL Kayaking Forum.

HT

ksb.jpg.754009cffd8e27fdbe2d115b19dcc75c.jpg

Genius! I will have to try to rig something similar.

Edited by drmevo

don't retrieve the fish so close,leave 1 1/2X the length of the rod out the tip and then move the rod up and behind you,thus bringing the fish to your L hand,I use a 10' rod from the yak and don't have any troubles if I use this method

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:32 PM, bloosfisher said:

Definitely stretch the line before you get in the yak and fish it. I always use a 9' 9wt. , unless there's NO chance of bigger fish. I use a large piece of plastic  over my legs. If I get the dreaded tip tangle , I take apart the rod at the middle ferrule. So much easier.  Hope you get a good sleigh ride one of these days.  My Wilderness Systems Pamlico is tough to get in and out of unless your very near shore, so I just stay in it  with rare exceptions.   I could see bringing a basket strapped on the deck.  Might do that next week in the Merrimack.

2X...  (That's what I would do when it happens)

On 6/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, saltfisherman said:

This worked out great for me. It’s a very simple install and remove. 

The line you can stretch small lengths at a time to get rid of coils. 

This is a great idea!! 

No need to get precious about your reel. If you dont want to break your rod then best solution to tangles around rod tip is to drop the rod into the  water whilst hanging on to the tip. I see guys all the time on shore feeding the rod through their hands to get to the tip end to keep the reel dryish .It is never going to end well every time you do it.

mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

On 6/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, Mike Oliver said:

No need to get precious about your reel. If you dont want to break your rod then best solution to tangles around rod tip is to drop the rod into the  water whilst hanging on to the tip. I see guys all the time on shore feeding the rod through their hands to get to the tip end to keep the reel dryish .It is never going to end well every time you do it.

mikey

Drop your rod out of the kayak?   That may be the worst advice I've ever heard. 

Edited by bloosfisher