coastalfreak

First Bluefish! Don't get excited though....

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Caught this little guy on some cut shrimp, was just going for Whiting, Small Black Drum, etc. And this guy picked up. Was pretty excited even though it was a micro. Has me excited to go for some bigger ones though! 

Also, in the last picture, that was the moment it decided to bite me. Got excited and wasn't thinking right. Finger bled like crazy. Lesson learned.

IMG_3220.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

Bluefish bites bleed like crazy for some reason!

Same thing with pickerel. I caught a decent one through the ice  and held it up by the gill plate for a quick photo before I put it back. It wriggled just before the shot, and my fingers slipped past the gills, to the back teeth. Bled for a couple hours.

It did not feel pleasant whatsoever. I was extra cautious because I was handling raw shrimp. Didn't want an infection or anything but it turned out OK. 

Glad you got one , do not offer them a finger ! Or any thing else , they will take it off ! I have seen people injured bad , not knowing better!    

5 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Caught this little guy on some cut shrimp, was just going for Whiting, Small Black Drum, etc. And this guy picked up. Was pretty excited even though it was a micro. Has me excited to go for some bigger ones though! 

Also, in the last picture, that was the moment it decided to bite me. Got excited and wasn't thinking right. Finger bled like crazy. Lesson learned.

IMG_3220.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg

good werk,,yeah,you were def not thinking,,glad it was not a bigger one.

HH

8 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

Good job on the catch

Best to learn your lesson on small one! 

Not just learn them but remember them! Snapper tagged me last summer when I got sloppy, luckily not big enough to do much harm. The big boys get my full attention, in a kayak there's a real danger of those MFs jumping into your lap if you bring them close still green. Not my idea of a good time!