giggyfish

Moose hunt help

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone. I was lucky enough to draw a cow moose tag in Maine zone 2 and need some help in finding a cabin and guide. Don’t want to spend a fortune as it’s cow only but still want it to be comfortable and successful. I’ve got a house in Washington county but that’s a long way to travel for a hunt. So if anyone can point me in the right direction with a name of a suggestion I’d very much appreciate it. 

Hey there

two colleagues of mine have used Tyler Kelly camps up that way and had great things say about the camps and guide.  Google him and you’ll find it 

ive been in the resident lottery for 16 years now without a hit

someday

good luck

jim 

Go by a whole black angus and have it butchered. You'll eat better and save money. Give your tag away.

been on four moose hunts.

I’ve eaten plenty of moose and have always described it to people as “it’s like buying the cheapest, toughest beef you can find” but it’s really not bad, though I much prefer deer. 

But in response to your negativity, it’s all about the journey. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Blackwater Guide Service and camps. He is reasonable and butchers too. They are in Masardis on Rt. 11

Edited by Ted Pietz
added words

5 mins ago, giggyfish said:

I’ve eaten plenty of moose and have always described it to people as “it’s like buying the cheapest, toughest beef you can find” but it’s really not bad, though I much prefer deer. 

But in response to your negativity, it’s all about the journey. 

I've shot   two cows and they are fork tender. I shot a bull and it wasn't as tender. The key is not to cook it too fast and hot and keep it on the rare side. Ask yourself, man created beef products and God created moose, Who do you trust? 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:15 AM, giggyfish said:

Hello, everyone. I was lucky enough to draw a cow moose tag in Maine zone 2 and need some help in finding a cabin and guide. Don’t want to spend a fortune as it’s cow only but still want it to be comfortable and successful. I’ve got a house in Washington county but that’s a long way to travel for a hunt. So if anyone can point me in the right direction with a name of a suggestion I’d very much appreciate it. 

Hal Blood (if he's available)

https://www.cedarridgeoutfitters.com/

Edit** I don't think he guides for cows

Edited by Sandflee

What time of year? If it’s about journey I’d say rough it, unless maybe it’s the November hunt, then maybe just get a cabin. Pack in every jug gas you can and hit the roads hard. Having a buddy truck goes a long way to covering ground & other contingencies. Biggest thing is having a plan once you put one down. Line up a local cutter before hand he may offer or have a line on someone who get her out of the woods for a fee. 

Been pall bearer on a half dozen hunts & the best ones were always the times we camped out. But they were all good adventures. Best of luck and free feel to reach if you want some tips on the self guided route.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:15 AM, giggyfish said:

Congrats!  You are in for a treat and were selected for one of the best zones in the state.  I live about 50 miles north of Bangor and have hunted zone 2 a bunch.  You were given some good things to think about by CDUX above.  I agree that "roughing it" in a nice big tent is the way to go, but at the same time realize that some folks just aren't into that.  I'm guessing about all of the sporting camps in zones 1, 2, 4, and 5 are booked for moose weeks at this point.  We have a friend with a place on Big Machias Lake that we have stayed with in the past- and that's where we will be again this year.  Dad was selected for a bull tag (September) zone 2 as well.  We probably won't be trophy hunting this time as my father is in a rough spot physically and can't walk well.  I'd love to see him shoot this one as it may be one of our last hunts together, but time will tell.  I've been blessed with the opportunity to knock 4 down myself and have been with others when they put the hammer down as well.  We all love moose meat and I'd take it any day of the week over beef.  Yes, some are better than others, but I love the taste...and as others have said, a lot to be said for eating wild game.  Later on in October, my sweetie will be trying to fill her tag down in zone 10...tougher area, but I'm pumped as this is where we have our little deer camp and I've always dreamed of hunting moose there- can't wait!  She informed me that she has no interest in shooting it, but loves the meat...so we're both happy campers.  :D  

Definitely line up a butcher before hand- doesn't hurt to call ahead of time and "check in" with them.  Absolutely bring plenty of extraction equipment.  It stinks to see a smasher in the back of a clear cut- or a swamp- and be afraid to pull the trigger because you have no idea how to get it out.  Pack 2 or 3 sharp knives, bags for heart/liver and backstraps, plenty of rope (poly), a good snatch block or two, winch or come-along, and preferably 2 trucks.  Attempt to dress ASAP and open the cavity up to get it cooled down.  Try to stuff some ice blocks in there as well and get to your butcher soon- especially if we have one of those warm weeks in early fall. 

Enjoy and feel free to PM me.

Edited by Factor

Like above what Factor said.  I've been very lucky also between my self and family I've been on  alot of hunts. Shot 5. All bulls.  Cow might be a little tougher but just get out in the woods. Pm coming

Again thank you guys, I’m up here now at my camp in Washington County and have the family on a little vacation. I’m gonna try to book something this week when me and the other two guys that will be going north. I really like the look of Blackwater guide service. @Ted Pietz any more first hand reviews or referrals would be awesome. We have the cow only last week that ends November 2.