BrianBM

Consulting with my fellow centrists

Rate this topic

103 posts in this topic

(Centrists, of course, being people generally denounced as liberals and leftists here).

Fellow centrists:

I'm compiling a list of things that were awful under Obama, but which have become so ennobled by President Trump's doing them, that they now pass without criticism. They may even be praiseworthy. Let me know if I've missed anything. Use a numbered post, so we get a nice cumulative list.

1. Deficits.  A thousand years ago, when Obama the Awful was in the White House, he ran deficits. This was to restore liquidity to the financial system, which was locked up; the Savior couldn't have gotten a new car loan, if He'd needed one, to make a new entry into Jerusalem. This was fiercely denounced as a crushing burden on America's children, a crushing weight on our national future.  It was denounced in Congress and it was endlessly denounced here. Still, it did achieve the necessary lubrication of finance. Unemployment fell for Obama's last six years, growth resumed and slowly, painfully, accelerated. 

We are now running an annual deficit of about $700 billion. A deficit in a time of growth has only one precedent, in one of the Vietnam War years. It has been achieved mainly by tax cuts. We might have a trillion dollar deficit for 2020.  There is no economic reason to do this, no reason to incur that debt, but we do, and no one here speaks a word of complaint. What was awful under Obama is now good, virtuous and just fine under Trump.

2.  Golf.  Obama liked golf, and periodically he'd take off on a vacation and play some golf.  This was bitterly resented here, it proved that Obama didn't care about the nation's business, about America. President Trump likes golf, too. In his first two years he has spent more time on the course than did Obama in eight years. Remarkably enough, this draws no comment in this Forum. Golf is good.  Golf is heroic, maybe, it helps repel the hordes of Mexicans wanting to rape our women and sell us drugs, it's a rebuke to women wearing kittywear hats when they march, and other evil things.

So, just like booming deficits, more golf is good, better, really the best.  MAGA!

3.  School records.  Recall that President Trump's entree into politics was the Birther claim that Obama wasn't really born in the USA. He said he was born in Hawai'i, but who knows? When some Federal judge in Hawai'i issued a temporary restraining order of the President's first Muslim ban, the President said it was the work of some judge on "some island in the Pacific."  Maybe Hawai'i isn't really a state? Maybe it's really a part of Indonesia? Or attached to Kenya? 

And then, that damn Hawaiian birth certificate showed up. And a birth announcement in the Honolulu Advertiser. How unfair, maybe it's a trick?  We'd much rather take a student publication seriously, because it's what we want (it said he was from Kenya!) and anyway he's too black and has a funny name, and that means he can't be a Real American. But that damn birth certificate just can't go away.  So what's next?  School records! He must be hiding them!  He must!  They would prove he's ... he's .... not a real American! Maybe he has an undergraduate degree from a madrassa!  His not releasing his school records is an outrage!

President Trump had Michael Cohen threaten the Educational Testing Service. He threatened Wharton, he threatened his military academy, with litigation if his school records ever leak to the public. There has been no word of criticism from the Trumpians here about this. Not only is not releasing them now fine, but threatening anyone who doesn't keep them hidden is fine.* 

So, refusing to release school records was awful when Obama did it, but it's fine when President Trump goes beyond that to threaten anyone who doesn't guard his records closely.  

* I wonder if young Donald was maintained in school only by generous donations to the schools, despite lousy grades. He doesn't seem to have learned anything at Wharton. ... what, did you think that bribing schools with big donations began just now with a couple of actresses in Hollywood? 

My fellow centrists, have I missed anything that was bad, awful and horrible when Obama did it, but is now heroic and admirable now that Trump is doing it? Let us compile the list in full. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Obama had the audacity to have an intelligent AND beautiful wife and two seemingly intelligent and beautiful children.  And there wasn't a whiff of scandal associated with them - or him - except in the perverted minds of some Never Obama-ers.

Trump is a twice-divorced serial philanderer, whose current wife posed nude - and whom he cheated on while she was pregnant.  She is upheld as "classy" while he is beloved of "Christian" evangelists who pretend to excoriate Trump's sort of behavior in those not Trump.

Edited by FrankStar

Brian you forgot Executive Actions that was bad bad bad when Obama did it now it’s fine because it’s the only way things can get done. He’s also signing them at a higher rate

Jay Dog, you're right. 

4.  Reliance on Executive Actions.  Awful when Obama did it. Outstanding now that Trump is doing it. And Trump is indeed doing it faster and more often. 

8 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Jay Dog, you're right. 

4.  Reliance on Executive Actions.  Awful when Obama did it. Outstanding now that Trump is doing it. And Trump is indeed doing it faster and more often. 

Brian, can you shorten the first three on the list to the above size so I can read them, thank you.

Trump droning US citizens overseas.

Trump spying on the media and restricting media access to the goings on in his administration.

Trump riding a pink girls bike around Camp David.

Trupm looking like a scared little girl while his pal Vlad is throwing folks around a Judo mat.

Brian, pointing out the double standards and hypocrisy of the far right misses the point, or at least falls short.  Because the question of whether or not they are aware of their double standards and hypocrisy isn't as significant as the fact that they don't care about their double standards and hypocrisy.

Seriously, this is forum of Trump fan boys where somebody unironically started a thread about how Joe Biden is creepy and corrupt, as if Trump isn't creepy and corrupt personified.     

Trump and the cultists don't care about double standards or hypocrisy or morals or ethics or norms or checks and balances or the separation of powers or the rule of law, they only care about winning.  That's it.  That is all that matters to them.  The ends justify the means, and they will burn down their own house if it "owns the libs" - a/k/a anyone who isn't far right like them.     

Edited by Sqwiddig

11 hours ago, BrianBM said:

(Centrists, of course, being people generally denounced as liberals and leftists here).

Fellow centrists:

You were at one point.  You probably were for a long, long while.  But do you really still see yourself as a centrist?  

IMObservation, the shift predates Trump, and is based on your posting in the past 5 or so years.  No doubt legions of SOL have fished with you, hung out with you, and I've never ever heard anything remotely negative about you.  So this isnt about bad or good, but centrist might be a tough sell based solely on your SOL pg posting in the past 4-5 years.  

11 hours ago, FrankStar said:

Obama had the audacity to have a.... beautiful wife 

LOL, oh come on.  Please.  Being pretty isnt everything . We dont have to force pretty on her just to make her better.

She is smart and successful.  Lots of things.  LOTS.

Pretty isnt one of them by a pretty long shot.  

7 hours ago, Sqwiddig said:

Trump and the cultists don't care about double standards or hypocrisy or morals or ethics or norms or checks and balances or the separation of powers or the rule of law,

Oooozing irony.  

7 hours ago, Sqwiddig said:

The ends justify the means, and they will burn down their own house if it "owns the libs" - a/k/a anyone who isn't far right like them.     

You are onto something there.  The left has been complicit and benefitting from rigged institutional bias' for a very long time.  some have had enough, and I will admit I admire that.  That being, I admire those who recognize the enormous propaganda wing that has been built around us, pervading our lives.

Am i not simply taking a page out of the modern liberal playbook, wrt ends justifying the means?  

Far right couldnt be further from the truth.  Far left has been renormed as centrist.   Overton window, yada yada.  I have to go...