Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

cat bird

I agree. Often seen chasing bugs down after mowing the grass.

I get them at my feeders all the time. Real cool, mischievous bird.  I had a nesting pair in my back yard this spring that brought their two hatchings to the feeder a week ago.  They can be a pia turkey hunting. They hear you calling, locate the source, then sit on a branch a few feet away harassing you. This spring i took my mask off to scare it away, and it would move to another branch and start all over again. That red patch under their tail is real cool.

They love raisins, and its not too much trouble to get them to come really close, even landing on your hand for one.  I feed them every year on my late June early July trip to the Vineyard.  Just at the end of their nesting season, around the end of my vacation they bring young to the feeding area, or a youngster will wait nearby in the bushes making a begging sound.  Really cool birds, related to mockingbirds and the more elusive thrasher.

23 mins ago, buz23 said:

They love raisins, and its not too much trouble to get them to come really close, even landing on your hand for one.  I feed them every year on my late June early July trip to the Vineyard.  Just at the end of their nesting season, around the end of my vacation they bring young to the feeding area, or a youngster will wait nearby in the bushes making a begging sound.  Really cool birds, related to mockingbirds and the more elusive thrasher.

I once had one that would come to my deck and I would throw raisins and it would catch them mid-air.   :D

catbird

I had one the last couple of years.  He was always pecking at my window or screens trying to get bugs and spiders.  Or maybe he sees his shadow,  All  day I would hear ping, ping, ping on the windows.  Pecking at the corners of the windows where the spider webs are. 

I had to tape sheets of paper on the windows, he was driving me crazy.

One of the tamest birds I've seen. Saw one this am land right at my feet. I'm sure it would have eaten seed right out of my hand.