Pma531

New Smoker!!!

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The wife surprised me with a Traeger Eastwood Wood Pellet Smoker for Father’s Day. I’ll admit, prior to getting it, I could barely cook hamburgers on the grill. So there’s gonna be a learning curve for me! Lol

22AC64D1-094B-4114-9242-C0DF04341101.jpeg

I broke in the smoker with St. Louis Style Ribs. Found a recipe and kind of followed it.

A5659177-93A6-4B47-8F04-7F9138E1F6C9.jpeg

2468DDE4-AF19-4F8E-9733-45BBD9745FF1.jpeg

00BEF79F-2420-4941-968A-E27D9D24C88D.jpeg

C757A3F1-0CB4-44A3-BF1B-C26B3F287B06.jpeg

AFA26F89-580F-490A-85F4-ADC7E295389E.jpeg

Had as a lot of fun doing it. Gonna try pulled pork and work up to some brisket. Anyone have any suggestions or pointers moving forward?

Edited by Pma531

Looks delicious. Great looking smoke ring. I need to upgrade to a real smoker, either pellet or hardwood. I currently have an electric smoker. It's gets the job done nicely, but it's nothing like the real thing.

17 hours ago, Pma531 said:

Next time I’m gonna do baby backs. St. Louis ones were good, but I think I’d like baby backs better.

LOL. I went the other way. Started with baby back, Once I tasted a properly smoked st.louis, it's all over. Well, until I smoked some lamb rib ( lamb breast ). 

7 mins ago, hobobob said:

LOL. I went the other way. Started with baby back, Once I tasted a properly smoked st.louis, it's all over. Well, until I smoked some lamb rib ( lamb breast ). 

So I’m starting to think it was operator error! Lol the ribs were delicious, just a little more “oily” then I’d like. Parts of it (thinner portions of meat) were delicious. Thicker portions were “oily”. I couldn’t wait. I got out of work early. I’m smoking baby backs right now. Lol I’ll let you know if I screw these up too

Yeah, I prefer St. Louis over baby backs as well. Baby backs are generally more expensive and the meat on them is not always that much, so the meat to bone ratio is kinda poor.

Yours look great by the way. :th:

Having the left over half rack tonight from a smoke I did a few days ago.

Everyone has their own taste, but to me ribs should not be "fall off the bone" tender, they should have a bit of a pull away from the bone yet be cooked thru, and juicy.

To me, iff they get to the 'fall off the bone" state that a lot of people rave about, they are either  1.) overcooked, or 2.) have been braised or worse yet :eek: boiled before smoking.

Perhaps your term "oily" is not quite the right descriptive for what your trying to express?

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Everyone has their own taste, but to me ribs should not be "fall off the bone" tender, they should have a bit of a pull away from the bone yet be cooked thru, and juicy.

To me, iff they get to the 'fall off the bone" state that a lot of people rave about, they are either  1.) overcooked, or 2.) have been braised or worse yet :eek: boiled before smoking.

Perhaps your term "oily" is not quite the right descriptive for what your trying to express?

You might be right with the descriptive term. Thanks for the compliment! I just went out to Lowe’s and picked up a meat thermometer. You guys taking the temps while cooking? I needed to purchase one anyway.

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

+1

St.Louis take longer to cook than baby backs

21 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Looks delicious. Great looking smoke ring. I need to upgrade to a real smoker, either pellet or hardwood. I currently have an electric smoker. It's gets the job done nicely, but it's nothing like the real thing.

Do you use an external smoke generator? Changed the game entirely for me, perfect temp control, perfect smoke. The Masterbuilt is only $50. I have some blue fillets in the freezer I'm going to try cold smoking on soon!

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Do you use an external smoke generator? Changed the game entirely for me, perfect temp control, perfect smoke. The Masterbuilt is only $50. I have some blue fillets in the freezer I'm going to try cold smoking on soon!

Nope, I use the little chip pan thats in there. I did, however, slightly modify the little rack that holds the pans so now the pans lie directly on the heating element. It makes much more smoke that way

27 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Nope, I use the little chip pan thats in there. I did, however, slightly modify the little rack that holds the pans so now the pans lie directly on the heating element. It makes much more smoke that way

Uggh, the chip pan drove me crazy! It didn't even burn the chips to ash at 180, so I had to open it up and dump it to reload. The external is awesome and totally changes using the smoker, I feed it with my own peach wood run through a small electric chipper.

16 mins ago, gellfex said:

Uggh, the chip pan drove me crazy! It didn't even burn the chips to ash at 180, so I had to open it up and dump it to reload. The external is awesome and totally changes using the smoker, I feed it with my own peach wood run through a small electric chipper.

Yeah I had the same headache. Unless I had the thing running at 300, the chips never really smoked well. I always get them burning with a propane torch first. Putting the tray directly on the heating element, as opposed to a half inch above, really makes a world of a difference.