coastalfreak

Message to the Novice

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

When I was first getting into surf fishing, I always asked around on forums and such for the best rig for me to START OUT on. Many people that I talked to recommended a rig that was easily over $100. So, I ended up buying a Battle 2 outfit. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my Battle tremendously and I am still using it today, and for the type of fishing I do, it definitely is what I would like in my hands over a Zebco Catfish Reel. 

But if you are first getting into fishing, and you just want to go out and start adventuring through this wonderful sport, don't feel pressured to buy a $200 reel and a $150 dollar rod. So many people think that they need stuff that expensive to catch fish with. No. Go to the Walmart, get a Shakespeare Combo and rock on your way. 

Now, if you feel financially OK enough to buy that Abu Revo you've been eyeing, go for it. But don't always feel that you need the latest and greatest. 

Same thing applies to lures. 

Heretic!  Agent of Satan!  Angel of Darkness!  No one can catch a fish on an outfit not priced at the top 10% of the market! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Are you not a novice?  How old are you?

Yes, I'm definitely still a beginner. I'm mainly just talking about people starting out. 

Edited by coastalfreak

22 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Yes, I'm definitely still a beginner. I'm mainly just talking about people starting out. 

it is same think you buy new pickup truck for 56K and 6 month later they sell them for 46K,some people say you get what you pay for.

you just gave 10K tip to sombody who scam you.

you have to know what is qualyti and what is value.

28 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

You're right.  The fish don't know or care how expensive your tackle is. 

I think you need a rod and reel that can quickly pull in the fish your targeting for a safe release. 

Walmart gear wouldn't cut it in my opinion........not saying you need stellas and centurys but come on.

If you can avoid the Walmart combo, do it.  It’s going to be frustrating when your plastic gears take a **** on your first big fish or you can barely cast 25 yards and the fish are on the outer bar.  A proper surf setup is going to outcast your average white rod/Shakespeare combo by quite a lot.  And before someone chimes in that fish are often in the wash, they’re also often 75 yards out.  I’d much rather be able to hit both.

yes they can work, but they’re hardly ideal.  You don’t need to spend 500 dollars on a setup, but there’s a reason people do.

Edited by bbfish

Someone looking to get started would do just fine with a $150-$200 combo. Caught many many fish on combos in that price range 

Edited by Justinj

Startup rigs are probably unheard of, much like starter houses, used cars, second jobs and starting at the bottom.   Gee, I'm getting cynical.  

3 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

get a Shakespeare Combo and rock on your way. 

The rod is soft and heavy for what it is, but its fine.  My son really likes his "tiger", fwiw.  The reels are utter crap though.  use it, sure, but the alpha reel and similarly badged items are a POS.  A used 712z for $50 is infinitley superior.  

Otherwise, good premise and thread topic.  

When I started fishing 40 years ago, I bought what I could afford from the “odd lot” discount store, a Diawa 300 H  and an ugly stick. $75 later I was on the beach figuring out how to thumb the spool and cast it. I fished it to death, when guides broke I fixed them. When reels got sandy, I learned how to open them up, clean and grease them, take care of what I had and more importantly how to determine what I needed next. And the addiction grew from there.

I actually find it most rewarding to use my dads old rods that I rewrapped, and a simple newel 229. 

I never wanted to be captain, always enjoyed being first mate.

Tackle is cheaper then a boat. 

I think that the average  new fisherman doesn’t jump right into the surf fishing game. That’s a very specialized type of fishing.  Newbies will fish from shore or a dock, maybe even a kayak  but I doubt they’ll start on a beach with crashing surf.  So for the average new jack, Walmart gear is fine. I still use some budget gear, sometimes, and I catch pretty well with it and have lots of fun with it. One of my favorite rods cost me $20. It’s taken hundreds of good fish and doesn’t owe me a thing but I’d be very disappointed if something bad happened to it.  No one should fool themselves into thinking pricey gear matters to the fish.  It doesn’t and it never will. 

Still one of my favorite combos

Shimano FX spinning rods, 7' or 8', less than $20

Shimano  IX 4000 or IX 2000 spinning reel, less than $15

They last, they catch, and they are great.