Mojoboy

Night Time Lights

29 posts in this topic

So as of recent I've been fishing some lakes at night and the boat traffic could get pretty dangerous. I wanted to throw some led strips on the outside of my yak. Possibly a a strip or two on the inside as well. I was planning to use it when crossing lakes or when I see a boat coming close. When fishing I'd probably like to have them turned off. I'm fishing out of a Hobie outback and wanted to know what brand of light you guys are using. Yak Power seems like a super legit company but also seems super expensive. Post your rigs and what lights you guys used. Much appreciated....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Visicarbon works for me. It's very bright. I normally put the orange flag over it to dim it out. Too bright and it will effect how you see at night. I normally have all lights off when in full stealth mode and have a strobe on my vest, visicarbon ready to go and head lamp to fully light up when needed.

I think the strip light on the outside is a great idea. Nothing wrong with having as much light as possible if needed. Still will need a light to go higher. Once swells or chop the lights will disappear.

Edited by The Riddler

When pedaling at night I use an all round white light that is supposedly to US coast guard spec and is "visible for 2nm" .This light does not destroy night vision as it radiates out and not down.

For Lighting things up like I'm going on parade I have an LED spotty. both run off my battery pack attached to the old milk crate.

Cheers,

Squid.

19-06-17 039.JPG

19-06-03 152.JPG

11 hours ago, Squidslayer said:

For Lighting things up like I'm going on parade I have an LED spotty. both run off my battery pack attached to the old milk crate.

I can see that coming in handy,.... even if you never use it, ya never know..

good to have something like that on board..... .:th:

Today my son and I finished putting Yak Power leds on my 2018 Outback. Two 20 in blue strips on the bow, two 10” blue on stern and two red buttons lights inside so I can fumble retieing  lures, etc.  They look awesome and I cannot wait to get on the water with them. Next up is to do the same on his Outback. Good quality from Yak Power. 

13 mins ago, Dieseldog13 said:

Today my son and I finished putting Yak Power leds on my 2018 Outback. Two 20 in blue strips on the bow, two 10” blue on stern and two red buttons lights inside so I can fumble retieing  lures, etc.  They look awesome and I cannot wait to get on the water with them. Next up is to do the same on his Outback. Good quality from Yak Power. 

This sounds very interesting. It would be great if you could take some pics or even do a mini how-to when you do your son's kayak.

12 mins ago, Dieseldog13 said:

The Yak Power led system  is quite easy to install as it is plug and play. The hardest part was drilling the first hole in the kayak.  

Gotcha. Sorry I haven't done any research on it at all. Thanks.

28 mins ago, BelAirSteve said:

Saw a guy on YouTube post a review of this:

Guardian Angel Lights

I'm considering one myself.

Red / Green navigation. lights;

Not sure i'd want to be thought of as being under power in a kayak at night... Power boaters can easily misinterpret your movements if you're not careful...I believe U.S coast guard discourages red / green lights on kayak as well....

They have no idea what you are out there at night or if your moving or not....

Just now, BillZ said:

Red / Green navigation. lights;

Not sure i'd want to be thought of as being under power in a kayak at night... Power boaters can easily misinterpret your movements if you're not careful...I believe U.S coast guard discourages red / green lights on kayak as well....

They have no idea what you are out there at night or if your moving or not....

Good point, they have an all white one too.

White light:

if its mounted on the bow, it'll kill your night vision immediately..... i gotta lower my sounder brightness big time just to see while its on....