Ben Lippen

Happy Fathers Day

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Happy Father's day to you too! I've been busy the last few days and haven't been on here. 

This was a project I wrapped up on Father's day. Always something to do. Didn't want your nice gesture to go unappreciated. 

:wave: Scallywag

That's more than just holes there !

What was that project? Quite confoosiling that video was, lol.

37 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

:wave: Scallywag

That's more than just holes there !

What was that project? Quite confoosiling that video was, lol.

Lol I know. I should have narrated. 

I have had water creeping into the addition area of my foundation. It's a poured crawl space. Hydrostatic pressure issue due to poor soil drainage (Monmouth County clay). My brother and I excavated away from the foundation and applied rubberized sealant (nasty stuff). Then installed a plastic dimple mat membrane, down to a weeping tile (perforated pipe with sock). The weeping tile drains into a concrete stairwell with a floor drain, through a 2" PVC pipe. It shouldn't be too much water coming through there being it's just hydrostatic pressure relief. Backfilled with 3/4 crushed stone and dirt. I also ran the drainage line (4" corrugated) from all the rear down spouts to a pop up in the front yard. I installed a 12" grate drain in the rear of the yard and ran that out to the pop up as well, with 4" corrugated. While I was at it, I also ran 1 1/4" PVC conduit to my shed for electric. Im thinking a 60amp sub panel will be nice in there, along with lighting inside and out and a stereo receiver to run speakers through the rest of the yard. 

The yards a total mess now but I'm getting back on that this week. 

Okay, I get it now :)

I've dealt with issues like that from clay before, but in stone foundations. Never block. Was in not sealed at all before? Either way, that's the correct solution. Long as that stairwell doesn't hold standing water, you should be fine.

It looks like whoever did the addition did an asphalt sealant, the stuff used for roofing. It doesn't hold up well below grade, over time. 

I have never found water standing in the stairwell. I ran a hose for 10-15 min in there before it started backing up a bit. However, I didn't run anything but the weeping tile in there. I have no idea where it drains to. Doesn't seem to tie into home sewer. There's an old cast iron pipe that was abandoned where we dug away from the foundation. It goes towards the back of the yard. Nothing out there... My neighbor says there used to be an old clay pipe that all the sump pumps drained into back there but has long since collapsed. Who knows? 

The rain this week should tell me if I did everything right lol. 

So this is the clay soil sitting on top, from where we dug. You can see it doesn't drain. The water just pools. I had standing puddles a full 24hrs after the first rainfall. I'm planning on doing a full 4" topsoil layer. 

Sorry for the bad quality pic... Taken through bedroom window screen. 

IMG_20190618_143256.jpg