Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kype

what radio to buy?

17 posts in this topic

looking to purchase a radio for my life jacket. what do you guys suggest i buy? mainly need it for weather forcast and for emergencies. obviously would need to be waterproof. 

I have two Standard Horizons HX210’s. Both were sent back for repairs soon after purchase. Their Customer Service is the worst that I have experienced and I have been around for 72 years. Could write a short story on the lack of service. I would look elsewhere. 

I also had a Standard Horizon floating model. Even in the dry bag the light would blink and kill the battery.

I got a Uniden MHS235 VHF, submersible, a few years ago and I'm very happy with it.  Battery life is incredible.

Has DSC (Digital Selective Calling) (for talking between fleets or teams) and MMSI (ID number so automatic Mayday is picked up by coast Guard and identifies you and your vessel without any voice.)  Also has weather.  they don't make this exact model anymore apparently.

No complaints.  Also has GPS but I don't really use that.  It comes into play with the Mayday though as the mayday signal also contains your GPS location.

Only thing I would change is volume and squelch are options you can get from a menu.  I'd rather have discrete knobs but I suppose that makes it more difficult to achieve waterproof rating.

Also comes with an additional battery holder that takes AA batteries so if you are stuck without power somewhere you can still operate the unit.  Comes with standard 120V AC charger as well as a 12V DC charger for car or boat.

I have a floating cobra radio.  The contacts rusted up pretty good and now it doesn't hold a charge.  I sanded the contacts but their may be a hint of battery acid too.  Ill be looking into Standard Horizons as well.

I have the uniden mhs75. I have only had it a few months but so far the battery seems to last very long. If i put it on 1w you can talk to your group without a problem for probably 12 hours or more. It has all the weather stations, scan and other features.  The only bad thing is the charger is only for a cigarette lighter. I charge it in the truck but you can buy an adapter for the wall.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:12 PM, Craiger12 said:

I'm also looking to pick up a radio. Anyone with any experience with Uniden?

See my post...3 posts prior