ThrowinPlugs

What is the deal with Stellas?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Hey all, excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the draw towards Shimanos' Stella Line? Why spend the $800+ on one instead of a van Staal or ZeeBaas? I could only assume they're much, much smoother while reeling and perhaps have sealing but to be honest they seem to be more high end boat reels than surf reels. Input?

stella are very nice. van stall are very nice. i cant put that money out for a reel. there are other reels that are "still really good" for half the price. 

its just like anything else. if you love the game, and you want the best then by all means. i know some fly guys who spend hundreds on a reel that will never peel drag, but they love it, so they buy it. 

I'd say your assumptions are about spot on but I also assume not everyone fishing the surf gets their reels wet. I fish stellas because I want the most enjoyable reels to fish when I get to fish and imo they are about the best I've had my hands on, that and Shimano's platinum service where for $35 and 2 day turn around they will completely rebuild the reel if you managed to wreck it lol. 

3 mins ago, Jetex2801 said:

I'd say your assumptions are about spot on but I also assume not everyone fishing the surf gets their reels wet. I fish stellas because I want the most enjoyable reels to fish when I get to fish and imo they are about the best I've had my hands on, that and Shimano's platinum service where for $35 and 2 day turn around they will completely rebuild the reel if you managed to wreck it lol. 

Jetex is right the Shimano platinum service is worth the price of admission. They are for not for surf fishing they are high end tuna and amberjack reels. They provide a lifetime of reliable service and are extremely well made. I never fished a Stella I have cranked one and its very nice but the youtube videos I watch make it seem like a tank. Also its probably the most well made spinning reel I have ever touched. Its the Rolls Royce of fishing reels.

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Hey all, excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the draw towards Shimanos' Stella Line? Why spend the $800+ on one instead of a van Staal or ZeeBaas? I could only assume they're much, much smoother while reeling and perhaps have sealing but to be honest they seem to be more high end boat reels than surf reels. Input?

Stella & Van Staal are two TOTALLY different tools. Stella maybe good for one job and lousy at another. Same with Van Staal. Both reels have their pros & cons. A fisherman must choose the right tool for the job.

2 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Stellas do everything better than VS and ZB besides dealing with sandy wash....and prolonged deep submersions and cranking under water.

Maybe that and line roller bearings...(but vs/zb ain't perfect there either)

Other than that They are absolute tanks that are 100% fully sealed.  And water tight.

I've replaced seals and a gear set in my last 08.....and never had water intrusion issues at all.  

It's a Saragossa with tighter machining tolerances and more parts....and better sealing.  

47 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Stellas do everything better than VS and ZB besides dealing with sandy wash....and prolonged deep submersions and cranking under water.

Maybe that and line roller bearings...(but vs/zb ain't perfect there either)

Other than that They are absolute tanks that are 100% fully sealed.  And water tight.

I've replaced seals and a gear set in my last 08.....and never had water intrusion issues at all.  

It's a Saragossa with tighter machining tolerances and more parts....and better sealing.  

Scoobydoo, I just took the plunge into top tier reels this year, but I didn't buy the newest hotness, I went with Gen1 Penn Torques: TRQ5, TRQ5BL, TRQ7, TRQ9... I really took Alan Hawk's review to heart. (BTW, I got all four for the price of one Stella or Dogfight)

I don't remember you ever doing any kind of reviews or even mentioning Gen 1 Torques.  I was wondering why (or if) you've stayed away from rendering an opinion or review on them. I know Alan Hawk completely dismissed the TorqueII in about two sentences, but I was curious what your thoughts were(on the Gen1), or if you've already weighed in and I missed it, maybe you could post a link to your review, I'm sure it would be interesting. Have I missed out by not getting the Stella?

1 hour ago, RockRonin said:

Have I missed out by not getting the Stella?

No you haven`t. New one has bail arm washer falling out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great Scott! Where have you been. Stella’s the best spinner on the planet for some years now.

Edited by Tailslap

It’s all about supply and demand, but status sometimes a factor. You want it, you find a way to buy it! Guys buy plugs for hundreds of dollars, then display them on a shelf. To each his own.

1 hour ago, cheech said:

It’s all about supply and demand, but status sometimes a factor. You want it, you find a way to buy it! Guys buy plugs for hundreds of dollars, then display them on a shelf. To each his own.

Eh I think it's a little more than that. 

Steels are great boat reels,BUT when they get old and a part breaks you may be out of luck.  My 20yr old ,yes 20yrs old broke it's  anti reverse gear and no parts available.  Fortunately a shop I found on line in FL had old  used stellas that they cannabilized  for parts and I got put back together ,but I now know the old ones can be a problem if they break,  Back  then a stella 4000 was about $300 bucks. The good ole days.LOL