Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I am heading out tomorrow morning on my first tarpon trip.  I talked to the guide and he said that I will most likely be throwing a 12wt fly rod.  I have never cast anything that big before.  Any tips on casting this as opposed to the 8wt that I usually use for stripers?  Thanks for any help.

Salty

Awesome, you'll have a blast!

Unlike fishing for stripers, you're pretty unlikely to be blind casting a lot for tarpon.  I'd assume you're going to be looking for fish and the casting (depends a lot on where you are of course).

Modern rods are so light that the difference between and 8 and a 12 is not as much as you'd think. 

My advice would be right when you get on the boat and off the dock, stop and take a bunch of casts so you can get used to the rod.  Doing that before you see fish will help a ton.  Also it'll give your a guide a sense of your casting.  You want to get this all out of the way before the guide starts telling you to cast to your first tarpon!

And remember when you hook up on that first silver missile to "Bow to the King"!

Have fun!