EricJ

Hardwood Floor Help Needed

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have hardwoods throughout the house. Over time, the boards are starting to make a "crackling" sound when you walk on them. Some background...

  • The floors are likely original 1968
  • The hardwood floors are installed over plywood. Not directly over the floor joists as they were in very old homes.
  • There are no squeaks from the plywood. This is not the plywood moving on the floor joists. That is solid. The boards above are moving a bit.

So, what is the best method here to make the crackling stop?

 

Drill small pilot holes and inject glue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's on the first floor and the basement ceiling isn't finished you can use some screws to suck the floor boards back down. Worked for me using 1 1/2" coarse thread screws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

You might try trim screws and sink the head. Then fill the hole with a oil based wood filler.

Edited by triumph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jerseyhunter said:

If it's on the first floor and the basement ceiling isn't finished you can use some screws to suck the floor boards back down. Worked for me using 1 1/2" coarse thread screws.

 

8 mins ago, triumph said:

You might try trim screws and sink the head. Then fill the hole with a oil based wood filler.

Both of these are good solutions depending on what the situation is.  If you screw from the top, be sure to sink deep enough to account for any future refinishing sanding.  Also, stay away from the tongue and groove edges, you don't want to start splitting off the top of the grooves.  You could also countersink larger screws and bung the holes, or plug them as land based carpenters call them.  They are bungs in the marine industry, and Fuller makes a countersink designed for wood screws in different sizes, and a matching bung cutter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses so far guys...

  • I cannot get underneath the floor so screwing from below is out.
  • I prefer to not use screws above because there is so much to do that it would be loaded with screws.

I really hope there are ridged/ribbed finish nails for the nail gun. OR.. a glue I can inject beneath the floor

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Thanks for the responses so far guys...

  • I cannot get underneath the floor so screwing from below is out.
  • I prefer to not use screws above because there is so much to do that it would be loaded with screws.

I really hope there are ridged/ribbed finish nails for the nail gun. OR.. a glue I can inject beneath the floor

 

I understand your concern, but the power of wood that is moving due to changing moisture content is pretty awesome.  I doubt finish nails are going to hold it, I think the wood will move right off the head, but maybe not.  I'd try a few and see before you shoot the whole floor up. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

This is yer best bet.

yeah I have seen those before. I think I would need a few hundred of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same issue.  Squeaky stairs and floorboards.  I have to get my floors refinished as well.   I purchased those squeak no more nails just have not used them yet.     I tried hiring a few guys to fix them and there is no guarantee anyone will give that they can unless they can get underneath.        Those screws may be your only option eric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 10:40 PM, EricJ said:

yeah I have seen those before. I think I would need a few hundred of them. 

Eric, they do come in 250, and 500 packs. 500 for less than $40.00.

You'll probably have to buy the small pack as well to get the tool needed as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Eric, they do come in 250, and 500 packs. 500 for less than $40.00.

You'll probably have to buy the small pack as well to get the tool needed as well.

That works for me ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.