Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeepBlue85

Adjusting to 8 an bait

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well I recently advanced my collection from a 50 year old squidder to a 7000 abu cs.  The castability with tins is impressive yet I'm finding when I fish lead an bait,  I'm forced to drastically reduce the force I put into the cast, nesting becomes a challenge to avoid and my distance is half what I would expect given what's easily achieved with tins.  So my humble question is for some tips on how to adjust my cast, line and fill to come closer to the reels potential even when throwing 8oz and a chunk.  Currently running 80lb power pro 18lb diameter approximately 250 yards with room to fill on the spool.

Thanks in advance

Edited by DeepBlue85

Wait... what ?? 

You're having more trouble casting an Abu than a Squidder ?

Something here doesn't add up, the squidder is far more finicky 

Adjust the spool tensioner knob and check to see if you have the brake blocks on the spool

You need to "thumb" the spool as the bait & weight is about to hit the water, and not let the momentum of the spool over run things.  As to less distance for bait & 8, it might all be due to your technique casting the bait, maybe less distance because of aerodynamics etc.   Heavier does not translate to further distance.  

That's what I was thinking...regarding the squidder the casting is the same with both reels, my expectation was a modern reel would more easily achieve distance with less effort which so has been mistaken perception. Love smoothe drag an buttery casts though.  I might have to go back to mono ...

Edited by DeepBlue85

3oz kastmaster, another notable detail is the rigging and leader utilised. Speaking to a bait savvy friend I now believe the pendulum effect and overall drag produced by the length of my rig bait to lead could also be a contributing factor.   Thumb slippage as well, I was thinking more along the lines of hockey tape though.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Don't ever expect to get a lot of distance with 8 and bait especially if your using a fish finder rig--level wind can also affect distance--just make sure you use fresh bait-and try to fish current-the fish will find your bait --rreelman

Well no of course, I'm aware the impact fishing bait has on capable distance but was curious what steps I could take to improve with today's modern reels an lines.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Deep.

i have only fished mono line. But do throw 7 or 8 oz and bait a lot. Casting wise I think it is imperative to start your cast slow to get the sinker moving, the power part of the cast should be right ar the end. This keeps the spool from overrunning , as the sinker is getting gradually accelerated, not quickly like a snap cast. Tommy farmer has  several YouTube videos that might be helpful. Also our fish finder rigs have only about 1 or 2" of leader to help with helicoptering

Your line level should be full spool if it's not remove line and but a little mono on then reinstall the braid.

Make your rigs short 10 inches or so. The guys that really lay it out there use a 8 oz egg sinker a bead and bobber stop so the sinker rest right at hook and a heavy mono top shot that wraps at least 8 times around the spool.

Is your rod rated to throw 8 oz? A over loaded rod shortens cast length.

Made some adjustments to grip and found the difference to be useful.  Great info here thanks, started gripped the entire surface area of the top of the spool with my thumb laying flush over the whole thing.  It dramatically increased my grip on the line and really let's me load the rod, the release is more critical as a result though.  No wind helped too

Edited by DeepBlue85