Striper flies in New England

Rate this topic

stripernoob

Hey all! I am new to fly fishing for stripers. I have experience in fly fishing in freshwater, and recently made the jump to saltwater after a push from a buddy of mine. He told me that stripers are fun to catch, and don't require as much finesse (like casting accuracy, attention to detail) as other fish. I am located in New Hampshire, and do most of my fishing in NH and Maine. I don't cast from the beach, I fish in bodies of water like the Portsmouth Harbor, mainly for schoolies. I would love to know what everyone likes to throw. I have been told that Surf Candy is a good option, as well as Clouser Minnows in white/olive and chartreuse/white. I am not sure what colors and sizes work well, so please tell me what you have/do not have success with.

Lefty's deceiver from 4-7" long in olive over white or chartreuse over white, clouser minnow in olive over white 3-6" long, white gurglers and honestly that's really pretty much enough. There's lots more flies than that out there but honestly your presentation and angling skill makes a far bigger difference than your flies do. 

Just now, RedGreen said:

Lefty's deceiver from 4-7" long in olive over white or chartreuse over white, clouser minnow in olive over white 3-6" long, white gurglers and honestly that's really pretty much enough. There's lots more flies than that out there but honestly your presentation and angling skill makes a far bigger difference than your flies do. 

^^^^^ Dead on, particularly around the Piscataqua on the NH/ME border 

Started fishing for stripers ~10 yrs ago...have tied thousands of different flies, but always end up using a darker, more olive (less chartreuse) version of BFD's Betsy.  I have a full box of many patterns, but for the past three years, it's the only fly I've used.  Last summer, I caught over 500 fish during our week on the cape on that fly....

In my opinion, the best striper fly of all time.  Thanks Dick!!

Dougie I spent the last hour restocking them, culling a lot more unnecessary flies. Down to a much smaller number. But I'll never stop tying more! I'm actually going to be getting rid of a lot of them if you're interested...

22 hours ago, flyfishvt said:

Started fishing for stripers ~10 yrs ago...have tied thousands of different flies, but always end up using a darker, more olive (less chartreuse) version of BFD's Betsy.  I have a full box of many patterns, but for the past three years, it's the only fly I've used.  Last summer, I caught over 500 fish during our week on the cape on that fly....

Ohhhhhh I need one. 

Here to learn and improve!

On 6/15/2019 at 10:02 PM, flyfishvt said:

would you mind posting a picture of the fly u are describing

Also try Bunny Flies. Wrap lead eyes on the hook, Clouser style. Lash 3 or 4 hackle feathers on as a tail. Wrap the shank with crosscut rabbit fur. This fly is a killer, catches anything that swims. Fresh or salt, from trout to stripers to albies, All white, all black, all chartreuse. 

Best all around color and fly is a black snake fly or white something that pushes water I found them to out fish almost all other flies fishing with Mark Lewchik on my boat in the muddy Ct river I out fished him 10-1 !

Dannyplug: there is a thread, "the Betsy" (November 24, 2013), on the Fly Tying forum in which Bonefishdick gives a step-by-step pictorial for

his very good fly. You'll just need to adapt the colors for this olive Betsy. 

Edited by Suave
Typing mistake

And there is another thread, I think on the  Fly Tying forum too, where BFD, on January 15, 2015,  also gives the step-by-step of the Betsy, this time wirhout pictures. The combination of the two threads gives you a complete picture. Just open the Fly Tying Forum and then, in search, type in Betsy, and you should find the two threads I referred to. And good tying...

On 6/23/2019 at 6:25 PM, dannyplug1 said:

That’s a good looking fly do you have a recipe for it that you would be willing to share?  Thanks Charlie 

Danny,   use this link:

also, as a screen snippet:

Betsy.jpg.609605d79914e9ec00b8d3f4d31607db.jpg

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT