CTS VT Guide Train Help

Rate this topic

erz

I finally pulled the trigger on a 10' VT1000, the 12-20# - 1.5-3oz blank for myself. Firstly, I'm an avid surf fisherman but I generally don't build surf rods.

I was seeking some guidance on what model guides to use, here is what CTS recommends:

"Our standard build would be a 500mm butt grip, then 10,10,10,10,12,16,(20 or 25), 30 at 109 / 242 / 400 / 581 / 787 / 1017 / 1271 / 1550mm from tip"

I was going to use the Black Titanium SiC guides, as this will hopefully be the new work horse of my rod quiver. However, I am afraid that these guides may be soft.

I was originally going to go with 8s but after hearing back from CTS, the 10s may be a better idea. I thought, for the 30-12 using KWs, maybe KLs for the 12/16 and then going down to the size 10 KTs..

Can anybody offer some insight on the single foot guides? It seems like they are not too popular.. I built an 11' CTS for a friend and he seems to like them but he doesn't fish that often. KWs to the tip is also an option.

I think I'm going to be using Lou Caruso's method of guide placement (with the string from the reel to the choker) and will compare that to CTS's recommended placement. perhaps mark up the blank and test cast it both ways. Though my butt length may be different from 500mm.

As for guide sizes, I'm torn between 30/25/16/12-10s and 25/20/16/12-10s.. I'll be pairing the rod with a VS200.. I may just bite the bullet and get one of each size between 30-10 and see what fits where but if I go with Ti, they're awfully expensive.

I was also thinking of experimenting with the NS7 or LS7, the Fuji Plate style real seat.. Another thing I don't see very often.

I can't help but think I don't see the NS7/LS7 or single foot guides for a reason.

I'll try to post pictures of my build as time goes along once my blank arrives next month.

Thanks for the help and I hope everybody is enjoying their weekend!

Edited by erz

10 hours ago, erz said:

As for guide sizes, I'm torn between 30/25/16/12-10s and 25/20/16/12-10s.. I'll be pairing the rod with a VS200.. I may just bite the bullet and get one of each size between 30-10 and see what fits where but if I go with Ti, they're awfully expensive.

KW 30 (the high one not the L) 25 20 12 then running guides

I use SF runners on virtually all of my own rods, even big heavers.

If SF make you nervous, use KW8's

Considerations for bigger runners:

1. weed

2. pulling heavy lure clips clips through the guides.

Fuji TI guide frames are not soft, if you can afford them, nice.

11 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

KW 30 (the high one not the L) 25 20 12 then running guides

I use SF runners on virtually all of my own rods, even big heavers.

If SF make you nervous, use KW8's

Considerations for bigger runners:

1. weed

2. pulling heavy lure clips clips through the guides.

Fuji TI guide frames are not soft, if you can afford them, nice.

I'm not so sure I can afford them but I think I'm going to buy them anyway. I'm not so sure how I feel about the SFs, I may stick with the KWs.

I fish with a barrel swivel between the braid and mono so I may stick with size 10s just to save future headaches down the road, I feel that the titanium would be a good compromise between size and weight..

4 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

that is a very light blank. i would use 1 double foot and the rest single. kw30 (highframe) the 20, 12, 8 single foot. if you use the seat plates use the NS7, the center insert piece makes for a much tighter fit with the vs.

I was thinking of a KW30-25, KL20-16-12, KT10x3 to a size 10 tip.. Do you think I'd be safe going from a 30 to a 20?

The KW30 is 61.2mm high, the KLs (single foot) are a bit higher than the KWs (double); KL20 is 33.5 and the KW20 is 27.9.. I don't know how big of a difference 5.6mm is going to make once I start placing guides.

I'm beginning to think I'm overthinking all of this.

Edited by erz

14 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

dont use the 25 as a stripper guide. yes you can go from the kw30 to the KL20, it is higher than the double foot.you dont need the kl16. i have build many rods this way. 

They seem like such drastic height differences on paper. I'll try this, 3 chokers into 5 size 10 runners and the tip..

Would you use the x27 method for initial placement? If I remember correctly the spool on the VS200 is 2.25in so I'm 69 inches from the face on a 120 inch rod--I'm sure that's plenty of space for the guides.

Thank you guys for the help.

imho - use a vs150 on that rod. A 200 will too much reel. 

I have a 10' 1-3, kw 30, 25-20-12-8. Everything after the kw is a single foot. There are a lot of ways to go with the layouts as stated above.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

12 mins ago, Drew C. said:

imho - use a vs150 on that rod. A 200 will too much reel. 

I have a 10' 1-3, kw 30, 25-20-12-8. Everything after the kw is a single foot. There are a lot of ways to go with the layouts as stated above.

I saw your thread on the 11' 3-6oz rod, beautiful work!

This was another thing that I had bouncing around in my head; I was afraid the rod may be too light. I've read some mixed reviews about the 1-3oz but I thought the 3-6 would be way too heavy for my application of fishing. I'll have a better idea what reel I'll pair the rod with when I get the blank as I have a VS150 too..

10 hours ago, erz said:
11 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

dont use the 25 as a stripper guide. yes you can go from the kw30 to the KL20, it is higher than the double foot.you dont need the kl16. i have build many rods this way. 

They seem like such drastic height differences on paper. I'll try this, 3 chokers into 5 size 10 runners and the tip..

The set up (KW30 KL20 KL12) that Mike mentioned works very well;