Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bronson

set up for doa tiny terror eyes.....for snook and tarpon

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

figured id post here....spending a lot more time in palm beach area w my dad....so now I'm hooked on winter dock light fishing and other situations where I'm tossing almost fly type lures.....and I'm not so happy w my current setup that is already pretty light so I'm wondering what u guys are using....

I'm using hand tied calf tail jigs, in the Vero-Ft. Pierce area, but basically doing the same thing. I use a St. Croix 5S76mlxf with a certate 2500xh. I pick my battles. I don't hit dock lights looking for slobs. I have my choice of half a dozen habitats where I can target the big girls without going through 20$ worth of braid every week. Dock lights are good for insomnia, and entertaining guests, but it costs me a lot of jigs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bronson,

Major Craft Nanoace 6’9” M drop shot rod $109.99

Daiwa Ballistic LT2500 $229.99 (or equivalent sized BG for less $)

Suffix 832 10lb test and 30lb mono or flouro leader.

I cast everything from DOA Shrimp, CAL shads on 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig heads, Crappie Jigs, 3/8 Kastmasters, small x-raps, etc etc.

I’ve caught so many snook, juvi  tarpon, jacks, ladyfish, Spanish mackerel, reds, trout, etc etc its ridiculous. 

Unbelievably versatile, light, fun outfit.  Your other outfits will be gathering dust.

You'll thank me later. 

Edited by Stuu

thx for the replies....I was using my standard travel setup and I'm thinking my main improvement will b using a smaller reel Than slammer 4500.....

Like was said already "Pick your battles" You will see a bunch of little guys around the docks most of the time, and small setup will get the job done, if that's what you are after, but trust me the bigger ones are there.... and the only thing small setup are going to do is get your feeling hurt and lose a lot of rigs...Where I fish your 4500 wouldn't even slow them down, 10lb braid and 30lb fluro.. yea if you are fishing the flats..but again it all depends on what you want to target and the area you are in.... just my opinion  :rav:

24 mins ago, Drako said:

Where I fish your 4500 wouldn't even slow them down, 10lb braid and 30lb fluro.. yea if you are fishing the flats..but again it all depends on what you want to target and the area you are in.... just my opinion  :rav:

This is all very true, but the OP asked for suggestions on an outfit that could cast “fly type lures”......

You better go and reread his

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:52 PM, bronson said:

and I'm not so happy w my current setup that is already pretty light so I'm wondering what u guys are using

Thats what he also said....IMO a 4000 size reel with about 30lb braid and 50lb fluro and 7ft med to heavy action will work on most gamefish around docks... but if a big snook come by...he has the winning hand, if you have never tackle with one.... I'm on the side that doesn't believe you should burn up a gamefish on light tackle just because it a thrill.... most of those gamefish don't survive..studies are all over the place to back what i'm saying...also once a fish is burn up so bad, yes it he will swim and he looks just fine... but most end up getting eaten by something pretty quit...not saying that it can't be done and given care to the gamefish... it just those type of fishermen are rare....give a person a setup with 10lb braid and 30lb leader most won't have a chance in hell of landing a good size gamefish...put them in areas where it tight as chit and more then likely you will get owned....Hey don't get me wrong.. I was on that band wagon for awhile and its a rush at times.. but we didn't do the gamefish any favors and when I started chasing larger fish in combat zones... well those little setup wouldn't have a chance in hell, just saying:howdy:

I took the sentence you quoted above to mean he’s looking for an even lighter outfit then he’s currently using.

Besides, as long as you can tie a good braid to mono knot, the hook on the small doa terror eyes (the lure he is using/asking about) will bend out way before the mainline or leader will break.(10 b to 30 l)

I understand all about not tiring fish out, and of course you have to be mindful about the current/structure/conditions and specific location, but with that specific outfit you can put an extreme amount of pressure on a fish. My avg length of fight for even nice snook, is about 15 seconds. When I get snagged in the mangroves, most of my lures hooks bend out, I’ve (unfortunately) reeled in some pretty large gators with it. 10lb 832 breaks at around 22-24lbs. All the while easily casting the “fly type lures” the OP asked about.

Being in a combat zone does change everything, but fishing an inter coastal dock light is not what I consider combat fishing.

Not arguing with you, just friendly debate. 

drako....im not into the ultra light wear a fish out scene either.......just into being able to properly present light lures.....thx for the replies

Stuu... I stopped arguing yrs ago LOL....and when you are able to stop and land nice size snook in heavy cover.. that sir is because of your "Talent" as a fishermen:howdy:.... that's the reason I tell people to go a little heavy, that way they can land the fish in a decent time and release it healthy.... plus they won't get their feeling hurt.

"Bronson" glad to see people like you taking the time to listen to both sides and then making up your mind.. here's one for you... have you ever tired wading that dock during the day? (if its possible)….I was shown yrs ago what wading intercoastal docks can produce...I"m just too much of a sissy to do it myself anymore:eek:.... I know there's a shark out there just waiting for me to mess up:laugh:... again guys a good debate is great as long as it stays on topic...hell even if it gets heated at times it still good.... all is good

thx for the wading tip drako....if solo ill try it....im lucky enough to have a buddy that owns a salt marsh 1442 and enjoys poling it as much as fishing! 

6 hours ago, bronson said:

I’m  lucky enough to have a buddy that owns a salt marsh 1442 and enjoys poling it as much as fishing! 

That is very lucky ! Sweet little boat !