joetackle

Using teasers as saltwater flys

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Just started saltwater fly fishing and I have a few salt flies I picked up at fleamarkets. I have quite a few teasers from my flounder kit. I realize they have larger hook sizes.  Does anyone use teasers as salt flies?

The only negative would be that often teasers are tied on larger/heavier hooks that take away from the action. Movement is key that's why guys often attach via loop knots.

On 6/17/2019 at 0:54 PM, Uncle Stu said:

Teasers should work. Do you have a vise? Tying is fun: both meditative and addictive. 

No vise, but I'm sure I could rig up something with an old Xacto collet. I only have a buck tail a hunter friend gsve me, and some colored thread to work with. No hackle or feathers.

11 mins ago, joetackle said:

No vise, but I'm sure I could rig up something with an old Xacto collet. I only have a buck tail a hunter friend gsve me, and some colored thread to work with. No hackle or feathers.

Joe, one of the most commonly used flies for striper is the Clouser minnow. It's just bucktail tied over dumbbell eyes to make it sink. I prefer bead chain eyes for less weight: easier to cast, and the water I fish is pretty shallow. White is good, but lots of us prefer chartreuse/white for maximum visibility.