Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagDarter

HELP: PROP SPIN

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I installed a brand new prop on my Johnson 15HP and the prop doesn’t lock when in gear (motor is off).  Shouldn’t the prop be locked in the opposite direction when in gear i.e. in forward it shouldn’t be able to spin counter clockwise and in reverse it shouldn’t be able to spin clockwise?  

Again this is a brand new prop with a brand new prop hub so I’m not sure what might be wrong here.  

If you think the hub is bad .mark it with a white out pen on the hub metal part and rubber part of the prop .I perfer the back side of the prop .put a straight line.  Go run the  prop and motor in the water.   After doing a quick run Pull prop and see if line moved or you still have a  straight line . If your line moved  misaligned broken etc your hub kit in your prop  is bad.. 

I would put some rabbit ears on it, start the motor, throw it in gear, and see what happens.

Then, or instead of that, fill an empty trash can with water, and dip the motor in that, fire it up, and put it in gear.

Even at idle, the water in the can should get moving pretty good.

Then, time for an on the water test.

9 hours ago, makorider said:

Whaaaa?

If its in gear, the prop isn't spinning either direction.  Assuming the engine is not running.

Sorry if I’m not being clear.  I put my motor in a garbage pale filled with water.  I wanted to see if my new prop was working okay.  I was able to rev in forward and reverse and I can see my prop was working but upon further inspection I realized that the prop spins in both directions in neutral (that’s supposed to happen) and in forward (should only spin in one direction but it spins in both directions) and reverse same as the latter.  

I think something may be off with my shift rod or my clutch rod.  But I think this would require me to take off my lower unit if it is something with the clutch.  M

17 hours ago, dena said:

I would put some rabbit ears on it, start the motor, throw it in gear, and see what happens.

Then, or instead of that, fill an empty trash can with water, and dip the motor in that, fire it up, and put it in gear.

Even at idle, the water in the can should get moving pretty good.

Then, time for an on the water test.

Did that and confirmed the prop isn’t spinning.  It’s. Brand new prop and hub so I’m assuming it’s either the clutch or shift rod that’s wrong 

It's a simple setup. Move into gear and see if linkage moves on the powerhead.  If it does pull lower unit and check shift rod . While lu off move shifter again to see linkage moves in the mid setion.  . Maybe who ever did water pump last time didn't reinstall the linkage right.  Or the splines are chewed up.  Usually 4 -6 bolt  on lu and one under trim tab . Depending on shift rod might be a pin in there , screwed on or just splines... while lu off check and turn by hand . Grease all bolts and splines...