Waterproof fish finder

On 6/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, Dockillemall said:

Just got me a new Hobie adventure island and boy is it a wet boat. Killed my Lowrance elite 5 first time out. If anyone has a recommendation I would like to hear it.

Thanks Roland

O.k,  nobody's replying,  thought some elite 5 users would chime in by now.... 

The unit probably has a good ip rating,  if water got into it then it's a warranty issue....

Maybe if you elaborated on exactly what makes you say it's dead we all could be more help...

I'll assume you checked that the battery has  sufficient juice, you're getting power to the unit,  connections etc are not disconnected or water shorted,  maybe water got into your  power butt connections somewhere?.... 

Dry everything out  & hook up your battery, put a volt meter on the power leads at the head unit connection & see what you're getting,  should be the same reading at the battery terminals... that's a good starting point.... most use dielectric grease on  their fittings. 

I don't have an elite 5, i have a humminbird helix7, I'm not afraid to get it wet one bit, all my butt connections are the  marine grade adhesive heat shrink type & they're protected below deck..

I take slop over the bow all the time & wash it down @ the end of the trip as well .... zero problems 

20190616_101347.jpg.de3d42569429e8687ca0de5f5939fece.jpg

I have been using the elite 5ti since April. Zero issues thus far. Have had it out in the rain a bunch of times and it also takes some splashing most trips. 

Like Bill said, I use all weatherproof connectors, kept below deck. Inline fuses are also in waterproof holders below deck.  

I rinse down the unit after every trip and dry it off with a towel. I also keep a small amount of electric grease in the transducer and power connections on the back of the unit. 

Tough to kill a Sounder first time but if you don't use di-electric grease or ox-gard on your connections it will fail down the road, guaranteed.

I also use the Helix7SI but I don't have mine on a Hobie Island Package catching massive splash from wind blown water while sailing either. I leave my unit in the rain and mounted on the sailing mast of my hobie revo 13 with electrical connections protected by ox-gard. I would mount your next unit away from splash if you can.

Edited by The Riddler

1 hour ago, Dockillemall said:

I opened it up, inside all corroded. Got some nice seals all around but but I guess I got a lemon.

Um, you opened up a NIB and it was corroded? Or did you buy used one?

if new, definitely a warranty claim but if you bought used... hmmm

Yellow Eyed Devils
There's no Sense in Nonsense!

22 hours ago, kinghong1970 said:

Um, you opened up a NIB and it was corroded? Or did you buy used one?

if new, definitely a warranty claim but if you bought used... hmmm

Hard to believe it was new, o.p said his Hobie was new not the sounder & he hasn't responded back on that topic  but ...

Just for arguments sake, If it was new I'm wondering how the warranty claims dept will look at this being he took it apart....

Edited by BillZ

On 6/16/2019 at 0:40 PM, Local24 SSP said:

I have been using the elite 5ti since April. Zero issues thus far. Have had it out in the rain a bunch of times and it also takes some splashing most trips. 

Like Bill said, I use all weatherproof connectors, kept below deck. Inline fuses are also in waterproof holders below deck.  

I rinse down the unit after every trip and dry it off with a towel. I also keep a small amount of electric grease in the transducer and power connections on the back of the unit. 

What type of "electric grease" do you use on the transducer and power connections on the back of the display unit?