NickT

Rod Reel Balance

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

Not if the reel is too light.... you want the bulk of the weight centered around the reel for the rod to work properly

from when I last checked it's the man holding the rod that makes it work ain't it?

HH

11 hours ago, SC said:

I found the balance extremely important. The use of a well balanced outfit means substantially less arm / forearm / wrist fatigue, faster hooksets and better overall sensitivity in knowing exactly what my lure was doing during the entire retrieve in my opinion. I didn't let manufacturers dictate where the reel should be placed, I placed the reel where it fit and felt best for me and added additional counterbalance  when necessary 

I'm glad you said it. Folks here regularly poo poo balance like its for sissys and the overly obsessive. Then in the next thread they want to bail slobs on a ultralight trout reels like a VR50 because :airquote: its so light and strong. Things like leverage, sensitivity, and comfort are not fully considered, instead overall reel and rod weight is often considered the be all and end all. 

I don't want to put constant pressure on my wrist forever lifting a tip heavy outfit and vice versa for a tip light outfit. I want my wrist relaxed and fully ready to detect lure movement, weed fouls, & fish presence. The more wrist fatigue sets in, the harder it is to have good feel. It matters not what the reel weighs for the most part, as long as it balances well, I can fish longer and more efficiently.

Having a lure clipped on doesn't put you out of balance, that only counts while standing around not fishing. Where balance works and counts is on the retrieve when lure weight disappears and becomes the push against water instead, (bottom jigging excluded) thats where I need balance and feel not undue wrist pressure.

BTW, I don't always have the blanks butt wedged between my legs either, not for spooks, gliders, magic swimmers, or minnows anyway. :shrug:

14 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Where balance works and counts is on the retrieve when lure weight disappears and becomes the push against water instead, (bottom jigging excluded) thats where I need balance and feel not undue wrist pressure.

As soon as your lure hits the water and you begin your retrieve there is weight on the rod due to the drag created by the line and the lure. To keep your rod at your desired location, your wrist is engaged...

I think that what is more important than a few ounces of weight one way or the other, is how the spool aligns with that first guide. If the spool is pointing above it or below it, the line will be inhibited somewhat. Reel feet being at different angles and heights, and reel seats at different lengths away from that guide makes this a total guess over the Internet. Also spool diameter to guide size makes a difference.

For me, attaching the reel to the rod and just looking at it gives me a good idea of the match. I sight it and if it’s close I’m good. He could simply lay the rod on the edge of a long table, and align the guides to the edge, then simply look at the reel and spool and see how it is sitting. This is when having rod in hand at a store where the reels are sold can be very helpful to obtain a “ size matched setup”, vs trying to choose a “ weight balanced outfit”.

Everybody can find a level of comfort weight wise that suits them. Yet some might be turned off a little by just those few extra ounces. Depends I guess. Certainly based on the previous comments, weight alone doesn’t seem to be that big a factor to most. Although, as pointed out, it is cute the way they squabble about such things. 

I have never understood rod ratings and such, but can determine what a rod likes to throw with it in hand. For me, a great match is the one that I can feel when I cast. How the line flows through the guides is what I think matters more than whether it’s a few ounces too heavy.

So maybe a different reel would be in the offing, and then again maybe not. I say fish with it and see what you like. How you get along with it. Might even turn out you will want a new rod instead of a new reel. This is how we do it, and why we have garages that look like used tackle factories. Good luck

A balanced rig is ideal but not important. I sacrifice balance so I can have a shorter butt section because I like being able to clear my chest and not be over extended when I cast. At the end of the day it’s all preference and having things work how you want. A balanced rig will make your casts more effortless because the weight is at the fulcrum point but for how I fish I’ll sacrifice balance to suit my style. Hope that helps at all

So I took my 9' surf rod and measured. A 25 oz reel moves the balance point back 7/8 of an inch from the balance point of a 15 oz reel. The difference would be less with a heavier rod. I still have no idea what the significance of this statistic is.  

If you go to a custom builder for a surf rod, he doesn't ask you how heavy the reel you are going to use is, he asks how long your arms are. A short man and a tall man can both have the same rod and reel with different reel seat placements and both think the rod is comfortable for them. 

Conversely, two guys can have the same off the shelf rod with different reels and both think the outfit balances. 

In fact, no decision made by a rod builder is made with the end balance of the rod as a primary consideration. How the rod balances for the end user is just a happy coincidence. 

Like SC and Ba Ba I like a balanced setup . If your rod tip is heavy your wasting energy holding it up through the tide , you also lose sensitivity. Where when the butt section is slightly heavy or it's balanced the rod naturally wants to point up relieving so much wrist work . All will believe what they want but don't knock it till you try it . Even if the outfit is 5oz heavier balanced you won't notice it and it will be less fatigue to get through the tide .

2 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Like SC and Ba Ba I like a balanced setup . If your rod tip is heavy your wasting energy holding it up through the tide , you also lose sensitivity. Where when the butt section is slightly heavy or it's balanced the rod naturally wants to point up relieving so much wrist work . All will believe what they want but don't knock it till you try it . Even if the outfit is 5oz heavier balanced you won't notice it and it will be less fatigue to get through the tide .

I have tried it.. adding half a pound to the end of the rod or reel to balance it is way more fatiguing.

3 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

I have tried it.. adding half a pound to the end of the rod or reel to balance it is way more fatiguing.

My reels are taped on , I'd don't use glued on reel seats . I use tape on reel seats . They allow for some adjustments in positioning the reel . Use what works for you .

It's more important for,longer rods of course , the rod is a lever . Would you hold a lever with the heavy end facing away from you all night ? Unbalanced is essentially like using a baseball bat as a rod .heavy end away from you tires you out .

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Balance and spline are probably the two most important aspects of our fishing. This can not be understated.

:)

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

My reels are taped on , I'd don't use glued on reel seats . I use tape on reel seats . They allow for some adjustments in positioning the reel . Use what works for you .

C'mon man,no1 here is talking about rods with adjustable reel seats/taped on reels...

3 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

C'mon man,no1 here is talking about rods with adjustable reel seats/taped on reels...

Really, do you know what they are talking about as to “balance” . If you read the whole thread you could learn a thing or two .

17 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Really, do you know what they are talking about as to “balance” . If you read the whole thread you could learn a thing or two .

Did you read the whole thread? The OP is talking about a mojo surf for christ sake...