NickT

Rod Reel Balance

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

I know this is something that has been hashed out on these forums before, but I recently bought a Mojo Surf 9' (3/4 to 4 oz) and paired it with a new Daiwa BG 4000. When I test it's balance it appears to be tip heavy. I measured the balance point and its about 4.5 inches away from the arm that connects the reel to the rod. The reel weighs 14.3 oz. and is capable of spooling 200 yards of 40lb braid. The next reel size up is the 4500 but weighs considerable more at 22 oz and spools 340 yrds of 40lb braid.  I know some people add lead to balance it off. Maybe that's what I'll end up doing. I'm still debating whether or not should I return it and get the 4500 (and hope its more balanced) or just stick with the lighter 4000. I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on this.

Don't take balance too seriously. Fish it and see how you like it. Even with the 4500 the rod will balance forward of the reel. You want the balance to be where you grip the rod, which is in front of the reel.

I never really understood balance to tell you the truth.  What works for me is a big heavy rod with a big heavy reel and visa versa.  I find BG’s to be heavy to begin with.  For me a 9’ mojo would pair nicely with a  4000 Ultegra CI4 . 

Hey, thanks for the replies! This’ll be my main surf setup so hopefully it will work well for me. Otherwise, lesson learned.

trying to balance a surf rod is a ridiculous, pointless waste of time that only internet fishermen even bring up.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

trying to balance a surf rod is a ridiculous, pointless waste of time that only internet fishermen even bring up.  

I wear velcro sneakers. 

Edited by EBHarvey

3 hours ago, NickT said:

I know this is something that has been hashed out on these forums before, but I recently bought a Mojo Surf 9' (3/4 to 4 oz) and paired it with a new Daiwa BG 4000. When I test it's balance it appears to be tip heavy. I measured the balance point and its about 4.5 inches away from the arm that connects the reel to the rod. The reel weighs 14.3 oz. and is capable of spooling 200 yards of 40lb braid. The next reel size up is the 4500 but weighs considerable more at 22 oz and spools 340 yrds of 40lb braid.  I know some people add lead to balance it off. Maybe that's what I'll end up doing. I'm still debating whether or not should I return it and get the 4500 (and hope its more balanced) or just stick with the lighter 4000. I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on this.

balance,,for me is as unimportant as knowing the reels lb's of drag.

if setup is tip heavy and you get a bigger reel the rig will be off in relation to size.

the reel won't match and be too big.

if it's handle heavy and you get a lighter reel it prolly be too small for what you want to do with it.

forget about balance,you prolly won't find it.

I just don't think it means much,,the balance of related size matters much more I say.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

1 hour ago, yosco said:

Trash the set up. A tip heavy rig will have

u constantly falling face first.

Oh that’s something I’ll be doing anyways. No issues there :D

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

balance,,for me is as unimportant as knowing the reels lb's of drag.

if setup is tip heavy and you get a bigger reel the rig will be off in relation to size.

the reel won't match and be too big.

if it's handle heavy and you get a lighter reel it prolly be too small for what you want to do with it.

forget about balance,you prolly won't find it.

I just don't think it means much,,the balance of related size matters much more I say.

HH

Well said. A bg4000 is a good match for that rod. Fish it and enjoy. I have a bg5000 on my 10'6" tfo rod and I think it's perfect. The 4500 would be too big for your mojo, imo. Stick with what you have.

6 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Well said. A bg4000 is a good match for that rod. Fish it and enjoy. I have a bg5000 on my 10'6" tfo rod and I think it's perfect. The 4500 would be too big for your mojo, imo. Stick with what you have.

Thanks for the insight. How’s the balance on that setup? Good or basically the same situation I have? 

Edited by NickT

5 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

Meanwhile, guys using casting gear happily slap an 11 ounce Ambassadeur on whatever rod they feel like without thinking twice about it. 

5 hours ago, NickT said:

Hey, thanks for the replies! This’ll be my main surf setup so hopefully it will work well for me. Otherwise, lesson learned.

you'll get extra exercise too,,countering the heavy tip.

after a while,you won't even notice it.

HH

I found the balance extremely important. The use of a well balanced outfit means substantially less arm / forearm / wrist fatigue, faster hooksets and better overall sensitivity in knowing exactly what my lure was doing during the entire retrieve in my opinion. I didn't let manufacturers dictate where the reel should be placed, I placed the reel where it fit and felt best for me and added additional counterbalance  when necessary 

Edited by SC