Mike

Buying A Pickup Truck For My Son?

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

I'm thinking that he needs one. What do I need to know before I start looking?

Say I'm looking to spend $5k to $7k on this. I'd like to, obviously, get something with the lowest mileage I can. So where is the don't buy it point? 150k, 200k? 

F150, Ram 1500, Chevy 1500, Nissan Frontier are all on the table.

What should I expect to be able to get in that price range? What do we avoid?

TIA!

This may still be for sale >

redfishkiller

Posted March 13 ·
 No I'm selling the S10 because I don't need 4 trucks

But it's infested with palmetto bugs!

I don't want to piss Dodge Ram fans off but I would never buy a used one. We purchased  them at work over a 10 year period and the results were awful. Transmissions sucked and major repairs were common 5 years down the road.That said  I have a friend that loves his.

Get a Toyota Tacoma does not matter what year just make sure of four things. One make sure there is no frame rust that is one of the biggest issue with these trucks and considering most of us are on the east coast that is not easy to do. Second with Toyota it does not matter what mileage it is just make sure that whoever owned it maintained it and most importantly did not skip or wait on oil changes these trucks get sludge problems and its just a hassle to deal with. Third thing is make sure it is NOT a salvage vehicle these trucks get into accidents and people pay little regard to who they sell them too make sure they give you a car fax. Forth thing look for a manual transmission there much tougher then the auto but some people today don't drive stick. The auto is still good but the manual will last longer. These trucks have great resale value, the older models are collectible, are light so they do not get stuck in the sand, and considering there trucks are pretty decent on gas. I think 7K can get you something your son would be proud to own.

Try a search on Car Gurus. Private seller. Just picked up a nice car at a reasonable price. Saved 3-4k over dealerships. 

Pickups hold their value, not cheap. I've got a 2012 f250 with 100k miles. Still has a book value over 17k.

I'd go with the Tacoma as the first choice.

Frontier as the second choice

And if I really wanted to spend money on upkeep and buy one of the big three, I'd go Chevy with the 6.0 engine.

A bit of research on edmunds or carcomplaintsdotcom will help with the selection process..