JRT

Cold water intermediate for sight-fishing

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I’ve always used an OBS inter underlined for my NE flats fishing. But now RIO have replaced it with the inter-coastal XP I’m looking for a new line that doesn’t coil in cold water with a decent WF taper rather than integrated head lines that can carry heavy flies.

i really like the Wulff Bermuda lines but they don’t do an cold water inter version.

Any suggestions?

What weight line are you looking for/how long of a head?  I've tried a bunch of different lines.  The Airflo Striper intermediate gets rave reviews on here.   I liked mine but it didn't play well with the 10wt I was using.  Airflo makes a clear head intermediate (Beach fly line) that I like, but it only goes up to 8wt.  It's more of an integrated taper, but it's a 33' head and casts nicer than the OBS in my opinion.

I've been using the  Coastal XP  this season and haven't found it any worse than other clear I's.  Have fished it in  mid  50 water, same air temps.  I have  older OBS sinkers, seems similar.  Have Orvis Hydros , too  - a little less kicky for smaller flies, easier accuracy when there's  not a ton of wind. As they're sitting here next to me ready to go in the truck, I unspooled an XP, the Hydros and an older Sci-Angler. The XP didn't need any stretching, no coils to speak of. The others did, especially the Hydros.  Though I like the Triangle Tapers, the Wulff's sucked for me. I sold the  9 wt. I had very quickly.  So far I'm liking that XP fine.   I had an Air-Flo that got trashed, if I had a shop that had one, I'd probably be fishing that.  Now I've fished the XP, maybe not.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can't help you with stripers, but have fished a number of clear intermediate lines.

I used the non XP version of the Coastal Quickshooter when it first came out. The coating on the running line cracked shortly after I started using it then the end broke off shortly after that.

I had several friends I fish with experience the same thing.

Its my understanding Rio changed the running line material, but I'm not sure if they did that on both the standard CQS and the XP version.

I've been using the Airflo beach line for almost two years now. The durability had been great, though I find the line to be a bit clunky when casting and it seems thicker then the CQS.

I found the longer head of the CQS to be a nicer casting line at least for my stroke when it didn't tangle.

SA also make the Sonar Sink 30 Clear.

I wish Airflo still made the 40+ intermediate with a clear head.

Though it had a floating running line and I don't think the head is totally clear, a line I'd like to try is A. Jensen's Coastal Vector.

I wish it was sold in the US and it only goes up to an 8 wt..

The Guideline Coastal would be another one I'd line to try but it only goes up to an 8 and has a floating running line.

I believe Monic is also working on a full intermediate based off their new Icicle coldwater floater.

I wish someone would just produce a intermediate with a clear head that had a braided core.

A light gray colored braided core would hardly be noticeable.

I could care less if you could see the core through the head (neither would the fish) but most marketing departments would go for that.

Good luck with whatever line you end up with.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

7 hours ago, JRT said:

I’m looking for a new line that doesn’t coil....

Use a tropical line to minimize coiling. Lots of NE flats guides use them.

If your sight fishing benefits accurate casts using different line lengths out of rod tip Barrio GT90 could be good. It is not very expensive and Mike B send lines very fast and shipping is free. It has very long rear taper so it is possible to aerislize 60ft quite easy but it shoots quite fine only 30ft out of rod. I have had WF7I many years.

Esa

When it's too cold for my Wulff Bermuda I use my trusty blue Cortland 333 intermediate WF. It shoots well and doesn't coil at all. Just changed over to the Wulff last week though and it's behaving well now that things are a little warmer. Seems like there is about a 3 week window between the arrival of stripers and being able to use the Wulff...

@stormy do Wulff make a Bermuda intermediate, I can’t find it on their site?

The SA sonar 30 clear is a good line but again not great in cold water due to the mono core. I used one in Australia which it’s perfect for.

I’m looking for a 9wt 

Anyone use the Wulff Bermuda lost-tip for NE sight fishing? It has a clear intermediate tip that’s 12ft which I guess would be long enough?

4 hours ago, JRT said:

@stormy do Wulff make a Bermuda intermediate, I can’t find it on their site?

The SA sonar 30 clear is a good line but again not great in cold water due to the mono core. I used one in Australia which it’s perfect for.

I’m looking for a 9wt 

Mine's a Lost Tip, i's an intermediate sinking clear tip.

14 hours ago, JRT said:

Anyone use the Wulff Bermuda lost-tip for NE sight fishing? It has a clear intermediate tip that’s 12ft which I guess would be long enough?

Yes, I think it’s ideally suited because you can pick it up and reposition without retrieving so much line. I’ve never found that it was  a temperature was a problem with this line, I like the stiffness.

JC

Thanks Jon - I'll order this for the next trip as I can always use it in hotter climes if I don't like for the NE.

24 mins ago, JRT said:

Thanks Jon - I'll order this for the next trip as I can always use it in hotter climes if I don't like for the NE.

IMHO ... the best casting mono-core-clear fly line is the Wulff Triangular Taper Monoclear Intermediate line (not the Bermuda version of the intermediate line). It performs well in temperate to cool conditions. For true cold water operations I find and use the older RIO Outbound lines with an integrated clear head of 38 ft. I don't like their OB short head lines as much.

I'll use the Wulff Monoclear (SA Stillwater line is very good as well) from late May to September in RI. But when it's chillin' I think the slightly older RIO is the best line available with a "Clear" head.

Airflo doesn't offer a clear cold water line that I'm aware of. They went away from that.  Back in the day their stuff was the best clear-ish cold water fly line.

Is there any intermediate line with a long head that’s about half heavy.  

I like the the Rio Bonefish for a floater but would like the equivalent in an Int.