coastalfreak

Ande Monofilament Line

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, Slappy said:

If you're over 50 and fish conventionals, you probably could have put your kids to school with the money you spent on Ande line.

When mono was important, it was a really good quality line for conventional reels, it cast well.  Now I use it for leaders but hardly buy any.

So true, it was good great even,  when it was fresh. Leave it on for a month and the memory was terrible. I would change it out every 2-3 weeks when fishing a lot. 

When you use it for leaders it straightens out good when you pull it tighten and stretch it slightly on a cleat. 

I use Ande leader wheels. 50 and 80 lb test. Tough stuff. I used pink but after switching to braid, I can't even chunk with it, no feel for what's happening at the far end.

6 hours ago, giggyfish said:

So true, it was good great even,  when it was fresh. Leave it on for a month and the memory was terrible. I would change it out every 2-3 weeks when fishing a lot. 

When you use it for leaders it straightens out good when you pull it tighten and stretch it slightly on a cleat. 

It was like barbed wire when it got old. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to put 17 on my 710z. It would hold up and get you some extra distance over the 20.

i think it was 17 but could have been 15. 

Edited by giggyfish

I use Ande mono leader material when I don’t want to blow hundreds on fluro.  I have not had any issues with it.  Plus, it’s cheap and you get a ton on one spool of leader.  

There were other brands of mono that I used for freshwater applications but I used Ande mono exclusively on my Striper spinning reels back in the 70's - 80's. 

On 6/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, PissonDFS said:

There are more World Records caught on Ande line then any other line in the World. That should tell you something. Hope this helps 

Over 2,000

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/14/2019 at 8:26 AM, CWitek said:

Tournament Ande is still my primary line.  I use it on my offshore outfits, for most of my bottom fishing (although I do use braid for some applications), and on my boat casting rods.  Never saw a need to change to anything else.

If you're in a situation where abrasion is a problem, nothing beats pink Ande.  It casts like wire cable, but it is very tough, and can take a lot of abuse. Back when the bluefish used to blitz bunker in Long Island Sound harbors on a daily basis, pink was the go-to for fishing bait in the moorings, where fish would regularly wrap you up in mooring chains, and the Ande was tough enough to stand up to the abrasion.  The memory was awful, but this wasn't a distance casting situation.

Not sure that I would pick any of the Ande lines over braid from the surf, where distance matters (although for short casts in big rocks, it works well), for deep bottom fishing or for dropping lighter jigs in deeper water, but for everything else, it's all that I use.  However, it can be hard to find.  I ordered a load of it direct from th factory last month.

I agree that Ande tournament is the line to use if you seek an IGFA World Record. It is green in color and is made to break at its pound test rating. This is important when seeking records because if it breaks above the category for the weight class line  of any species then it is brought up to the next pound test. Example: In the 2013 World Record IGFA book for men is a 24 lb 8 oz bluefish was caught in Buxton North Carolina by Gregory Wojciechowski December 3, 1986. If you caught one a pound or so larger than that today on 20 lb line but when tested the line parted above that when tested by IGFA you would be placed in the 30 lb class but the record for 30lb line is 28 lbs 7 ounces. That fish came from the Canary Islands so you would not win that line class record.  The world record as of 2013 for bluefisn is 31 pounds 12 ounces caught at Hatteras North Carolina on January 30, 1972 by James Hussey. I believe he was on a boat. 

If you are seeking records be sure to by tournament line like Ande Tournament green.

I stopped my membership in IGFA because they refused to offer a separate category for surf fishing. When and if they do I will renew my membership.

Edited by Ted Pietz
spelling

2 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

I agree that Ande tournament is the line to use if you seek an IGFA World Record. It is green in color and is made to break at its pound test rating. This is important when seeking records because if it breaks above the category for the weight class line  of any species then it is brought up to the next pound test. Example: In the 2013 World Record IGFA book for men is a 24 lb 8 oz bluefish was caught in Buxton North Carolina by Gregory Wojciechowski December 3, 1986. If you caught one a pound or so larger than that today on 20 lb line but when tested the line parted above that when tested by IGFA you would be placed in the 30 lb class but the record for 30lb line is 28 lbs 7 ounces. That fish came from the Canary Islands so you would not win that line class record.  The world record as of 2013 for bluefisn is 31 pounds 12 ounces caught at Hatteras North Carolina on January 30, 1972 by James Hussey. I believe he was on a boat. 

If you are seeking records be sure to by tournament line like Ande Tournament green.

I stopped my membership in IGFA because they refused to offer a separate category for surf fishing. When and if they do I will renew my membership.

I grew out of my record-seeking phase a long time ago (although, a very, very long time ago, I did hold a line class record for bluefish with a 14-14 caught on 4-pound Ande), but liked Ande Tournament well enough that I kept on using it.

As for IGFA, I was a member for a long time, but started getting annoyed as they seemed to drift farther and farther from their initial role as an arbiter of the rules that governed sportsmanlike angling, and moved toward changing the rules to accept whatever was commercially expedient.  I let my membership lapse after they supported the original version of the Modern Fish Act, despite its negative implications for fishery conservation.

I get that. The only thing that IFGA is doing that I still agree with is the promotion of getting kids into fishing. Most of the rest seems to be geared toward boat anglers and billfish. I wrote several requests in regard to a surf fishing category addressing that there are millions of potential members but their reaction was well...not very enthusiastic.  They did have a state category fr awhile where five fish from each state qualified for a IFGA State Record but that fizzed out. 

Very nice catch on 4 lb by the way. 

I don't really troll anymore, it's all light outfits with braid but 30-50lb Ande Back Country Blue was my go too. All I use it for is leader material now.

23 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

I get that. The only thing that IFGA is doing that I still agree with is the promotion of getting kids into fishing. Most of the rest seems to be geared toward boat anglers and billfish. I wrote several requests in regard to a surf fishing category addressing that there are millions of potential members but their reaction was well...not very enthusiastic.  They did have a state category fr awhile where five fish from each state qualified for a IFGA State Record but that fizzed out. 

Very nice catch on 4 lb by the way. 

Thanks