Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Good catch and release practices are a key part of what we do. Nobody wants to injure shorts, and safely releasing a good fish can put a bigger smile on my face than bringing it home and eating it. 

But I still enjoy eating a striper that I caught, processed, etc. from time to time. I’ve recently adopted a different mentality when it comes to keeping fish than I had in the past: I’m keeping a 28-36” fish if it’ll all be eaten fresh within 1-4 days. Give a fillet to a friend or family member to make that happen if you have to. It’s 100X better fresh than frozen, and I don’t want to disrespect the fish by letting it deteriorate in the freezer before eating it. Once you start stuffing your freezer with fish, you usually end up with more than you need, and some will go to waste.

Just a thought, I found myself with a freezer full of fish last year even after passing out fillets to friends and family and ate fish for a month straight so it wouldn’t be wasted. To me, it should be an occasional treat enjoyed while it’s at its best, especially with big striper populations declining.

What are your thoughts on catch and release/keeping stripers?

1 min ago, Shane_O said:

Good catch and release practices are a key part of what we do. Nobody wants to injure shorts, and safely releasing a good fish can put a bigger smile on my face than bringing it home and eating it. 

But I still enjoy eating a striper that I caught, processed, etc. from time to time. I’ve recently adopted a different mentality when it comes to keeping fish than I had in the past: I’m keeping a 28-36” fish if it’ll all be eaten fresh within 1-4 days. Give a fillet to a friend or family member to make that happen if you have to. It’s 100X better fresh than frozen, and I don’t want to disrespect the fish by letting it deteriorate in the freezer before eating it. Once you start stuffing your freezer with fish, you usually end up with more than you need, and some will go to waste.

Just a thought, I found myself with a freezer full of fish last year even after passing out fillets to friends and family and ate fish for a month straight so it wouldn’t be wasted. To me, it should be an occasional treat enjoyed while it’s at its best, especially with big striper populations declining.

I keep one Striper a year or maybe one every couple of years.  I am totally about respecting the animal.  Nothing goes to waste.  I catch and release almost everything but have been keeping Bluefish since they have been very plentiful this year and I found a great Southern Fried recipe!

3 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I keep one Striper a year or maybe one every couple of years.  I am totally about respecting the animal.  Nothing goes to waste.  I catch and release almost everything but have been keeping Bluefish since they have been very plentiful this year and I found a great Southern Fried recipe!

I’d love that recipe! I usually brine and smoke a few if I really get into them and have ice handy.

i CPR . Catch Photo Release. in my past i use to keep many fish. i just dont have the urge anymore. let em live let em grow. 

They're good eating but not amazing eating.  I keep a few a year, no more than a dozen and never over 36". My (lack of) fishing abilities also help to keep my harvest low :laugh:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I remember hanging out at Montauk Yacht Club as a kid 20ish years ago and seeing guys with wheelbarrows FULL of stripers. I doubt that will ever happen again. Most everyone I know sends the big boys back into the water to fight/breed another day and they take home maybe 1 smaller striper a year. 

Edited by jvisconti

I have never eaten one before, so I may keep one in the 32" range just to try. If I do not like it, I know my brother will eat it, so it will not go to waste. Keeping one or two a year will not make a huge impact in the long run.

10 hours ago, Shane_O said:

But I still enjoy eating a striper that I caught, processed, etc. from time to time. I’ve recently adopted a different mentality when it comes to keeping fish than I had in the past: I’m keeping a 28-36” fish if it’ll all be eaten fresh within 1-4 days. Give a fillet to a friend or family member to make that happen if you have to. It’s 

So ypu only keep a fish once in a while and give away some fresh but still ended up with enough in your freezer to eat for a month straight????????????

You are keeping to many me thinks

9 hours ago, jvisconti said:

I remember hanging out at Montauk Yacht Club as a kid 20ish years ago and seeing guys with wheelbarrows FULL of stripers. I doubt that will ever happen again. Most everyone I know sends the big boys back into the water to fight/breed another day and they take home maybe 1 smaller striper a year. 

I was out there last year and they are still hauling wheelbarrows full of Stripers. 

5 hours ago, ATH1089 said:

I have never eaten one before, so I may keep one in the 32" range just to try. If I do not like it, I know my brother will eat it, so it will not go to waste. Keeping one or two a year will not make a huge impact in the long run.

They are delicious.  Nice white meat.  Very expensive in restaurants too.

11 hours ago, Shane_O said:

I don’t want to disrespect the fish by letting it deteriorate in the freezer before eating it. Once you start stuffing your freezer with fish, you usually end up with more than you need, and some will go to waste.

Where I come from we'd call that a "game hog".

If everyone took only one,cuz ,you know,it's just one and that doesn't really matter much right... that would be millions of breeding fish taken out of a highly damaged population.

I don't care what you think you're "rights" as a fisherman are,if you're keeping stripers at this point in the game you aint doin nothin but being stupid.

Edited by slip n slide

For the first couple of years when I started fishing, I would keep a striper if I was going to eat it that day. Since then I've transitioned to 100% C&R. I'll still bring home cocktail blues, fluke, and even sea robin on occasion. I smoke the blues and make a pate that is delicious. 

I enjoy eating them but definitely release 85% of my catch. Anything not eaten fresh gets vacuum sealed and never goes to waste. Even the racks get used and turned into lobsters. If you catch and release all the time you are still killing some that feed the crabs. Don’t look down on someone keeping a few for the table because if you fish, you definitely have blood on your hands too.  I think it’s much more irresponsible to hammer on a school of smalls when you know that’s all that is going to be caught. I’d argue that guys that do this kill way more fish than the guy fishing big live baits on circle hooks and keeping one for the table. 

Edited by giggyfish