JimKu

Nanaquaket parking gone

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why the parking area by the bridge was removed. I drove past a few weeks ago and there were plants where there used to be parking. Doesn’t seem like there’s anywhere to park over there now. 

Hi Jim. It was unlawfully blocked by the adjacent property owner. We're working on getting it restored. You can follow along at www.nanaquaketbridge.com

If you are so moved to speak up about it to local officials the more voices the better. With all that said people are still fishing on the bridge, just more challenging to park. 

Happy Fishing!

I read the several articles on how the Representatives have filed a complaint and a Stop & Desist Order... but that was back in January ... and nothing was done to date?  This smells of more than rotten Red Tape ... I am somewhat surprised no one has taken it upon themselves to remove the "plantings" ...

A headline for the ages, "Man moves in to historic New England fishing port and doesn't like to have to see people fishing."

You are exactly right. DIRTY POOL. The news somewhat characterized it as an interagency issue but your instincts are correct--it stinks of more than that big time. Abutting homeowner was specifically denied permit/approval to take over that parking lot (it's state land after all). Yet after the last permit denial in fall of '18 he went ahead, (with RIDOT's help) and did what he wanted anyway. Cease and desist was ordered in December and parking was supposed to have been restored by January. As of today...nada zip nothing. DOT is slow rolling it.

You're not the first person to wonder at the restraint of the populace.

We're not giving up. We're expecting full restoration and we're going to shine some daylight on how it happened in the first place. 

Why doesn't someone just drive over them if its a public parking area? BTW nice website, I wish you all the luck in the world to get this situation straightened out.

I agree...the application for this was denied...but yet he did it anyway......pull out the bushes or drive over them...Its still public parking by law.  Apparently someone at DOT got some $$$$$ from the guy.

The mans name is carom he owns the big White House on the point that used to be a convent.  He is a realestate developer.  He owns that big boat across nanaquaket gut on the dock.  Typical block the access get rid of those who enjoy the water.

11 mins ago, bobt333 said:

I am from thus area. What house are we talking about? Big house in the point 

That is correct. The site of the old convent (which was razed to build the current house). The property was subdivided into multiple lots but none of them have been sold yet. A snapshot of the plan for the development that was submitted in 2009 is available in the "library" at www.nananquaketbridge.com 

The WJAR story that aired this week shows a shot of the home and the owner.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was wading the channel one night and that  A**HOLE  came down and tried to throw me off  ' his property ' . Threatened to call the police, which of course he didn't . Sad thing is, if he was friendly about it, I would have moved along, but he came out swinging with a Gigantic ego and attitude ! He thinks he owns that whole little section there.... NOT !!!.... Didn't hook up that night, but still went home happy ! :)

Edited by Mandoborg

Posted (edited) · Report post

We're a special breed, we people of shoreline communities.  We fight for our rights guaranteed in the Rhode Island Constitution!  Perhaps Mr. Karam should have read it before he began his land grab.

Edited by Grammafran

This was a formwe convent. Back in the 80’s people fished at the end of the wall. Some big stripers I heared was caught from this location. The nuns there also complained about fisherman. Looks like nothing has changed.

Is this the same guy with the huge yacht?  Hate to say it but after looking him up, looking at their political donations it's no wonder things just happened to work out the way he wanted it.