domc22

Need help with picking a setup

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/13/2019 at 5:05 PM, domc22 said:

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to all of this and looking to put together a rod/reel for mainly jetty fishing and some occasional surf fishing in NJ. I am mainly going for fluke, blues and striped bass. Ideally I'm looking for something that will allow me to accomplish that for now, before I spend all my money on different outfits. 

I'd like to spend a decent amount on a setup, I feel like spending a little more now will help me save money in the future. 

For reels I was looking at the Daiwa BG, Ballistic lt, Saltist, and Saltist Back Bay. I hear great things about the BG but worry it may be a little heavy for fishing for fluke. The saltist BackBay seems to have really favorable reviews but the Drag seems a little low (not sure I would even exceed 15.4# fishing on the beach for any of the above-mentioned species), and only takes 240 yds of 20# braid. I was looking at 4-4500 sizes. 4500 seems to be a bit larger, could I get away with a 4000?

As for rods there are a million options was thinking something around 8 foot medium fast surf rod, or 8ft heavy fast inshore rod, and looking for 2 pieces. I was interested in the St Croix Mojo and Tidemaster. Tsunami Airwave, Daiwa Coastal salt pro, Tica TC3 Dolphin, Star Stellar Lite, etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I just bought the Diawa BG 4000 and put it on my new 9’ foot St. Croix mojo surf rod. Its slightly off balance (tip heavy, if thats something that you care about) but It doesn't feel that heavy to me. I guess everything is relative. Before I had an Ugly Stik which is extremely heavy so it makes this setup feel like a feather. Maybe check out my recent post called Rod Reel Balance. 

And if its your main surf rod I would go heavier than medium-heavy power for the rod power and wouldnt go faster than moderate-fast for the rod action. Thats all just my personal preferences though

Edited by NickT

Yeah I hear good things about the BG, never tried one. Did pick up a 4500 slammer for my 2oz Tica. 

I like it. 

Think I really want the 10 foot Suzuki.

13 hours ago, Simply Addicted said:

Agreed that fluking you can use fresh water setup especially if on a jetty.

If you'll be anywhere near salt water that changes everything.

Any boat fishing?

First I first I just want to thank everyone for their help. 

I dont anticipate doing any boat fishing maybe once in a blue moon (for now Atleast), and I plan to do most of my fishing at the barnegat lighthouse. My dad lives 15 minutes from there. 

I think right now im leaning towards the Tica dolphin in either medium or medium heavy. Will likely pair it with the BG or the Ballistic in the 4000 range. A buddy of mine recommended it as well, he fishes for most of the things I’m targeting and has really liked the pole. 

My my dad picked up a penn battalion and a tsunami shield, I just can’t bring myself to buying the same stuff, and on paper the Tica pole appears to have better guides etc.

Fishing with Dad!  Try his tackle too.  The more tackle you get to try, the better informed your own buying will thereafter be.