domc22

Need help with picking a setup

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to all of this and looking to put together a rod/reel for mainly jetty fishing and some occasional surf fishing in NJ. I am mainly going for fluke, blues and striped bass. Ideally I'm looking for something that will allow me to accomplish that for now, before I spend all my money on different outfits. 

I'd like to spend a decent amount on a setup, I feel like spending a little more now will help me save money in the future. 

For reels I was looking at the Daiwa BG, Ballistic lt, Saltist, and Saltist Back Bay. I hear great things about the BG but worry it may be a little heavy for fishing for fluke. The saltist BackBay seems to have really favorable reviews but the Drag seems a little low (not sure I would even exceed 15.4# fishing on the beach for any of the above-mentioned species), and only takes 240 yds of 20# braid. I was looking at 4-4500 sizes. 4500 seems to be a bit larger, could I get away with a 4000?

As for rods there are a million options was thinking something around 8 foot medium fast surf rod, or 8ft heavy fast inshore rod, and looking for 2 pieces. I was interested in the St Croix Mojo and Tidemaster. Tsunami Airwave, Daiwa Coastal salt pro, Tica TC3 Dolphin, Star Stellar Lite, etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, domc22 said:

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to all of this and looking to put together a rod/reel for mainly jetty fishing and some occasional surf fishing in NJ. I am mainly going for fluke, blues and striped bass. Ideally I'm looking for something that will allow me to accomplish that for now, before I spend all my money on different outfits. 

I'd like to spend a decent amount on a setup, I feel like spending a little more now will help me save money in the future. 

For reels I was looking at the Daiwa BG, Ballistic lt, Saltist, and Saltist Back Bay. I hear great things about the BG but worry it may be a little heavy for fishing for fluke. The saltist BackBay seems to have really favorable reviews but the Drag seems a little low (not sure I would even exceed 15.4# fishing on the beach for any of the above-mentioned species), and only takes 240 yds of 20# braid. I was looking at 4-4500 sizes. 4500 seems to be a bit larger, could I get away with a 4000?

As for rods there are a million options was thinking something around 8 foot medium fast surf rod, or 8ft heavy fast inshore rod, and looking for 2 pieces. I was interested in the St Croix Mojo and Tidemaster. Tsunami Airwave, Daiwa Coastal salt pro, Tica TC3 Dolphin, Star Stellar Lite, etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think the BG’s are heavy.  Ballistic is nice and lite.  Can’t go wrong with a St Croix.  For me the Tsunami does not have great bite detection 

I’ve owned 3 Ticas- 2 spin, 7’ light and 8’ medium, one 9’ convench. I was satisfied with all of them. My my neighbor is still fishing the convench with an Abu Garcia. I still fish the spinners. Tica holds it own in the rod market. 

28 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I think the BG’s are heavy.  Ballistic is nice and lite.  Can’t go wrong with a St Croix.  For me the Tsunami does not have great bite detection 

Thanks. I'm thinking the Ballistic 4000 and the Mojo. The few videos out there on the Saltist back bay look really promising, I like that it is an aluminum body vs the Zaoin material. But the drag being only 15.4 and less line capacity has me thinking otherwise.  

35 mins ago, D1fishr said:

I’ve owned 3 Ticas- 2 spin, 7’ light and 8’ medium, one 9’ convench. I was satisfied with all of them. My my neighbor is still fishing the convench with an Abu Garcia. I still fish the spinners. Tica holds it own in the rod market. 

Good to know, I have a buddy who has one and likes it a lot. Hearing more positive feedback certainly makes me feel better. And it is one of few that meet my criteria.

9’-10’ Tsunami airwave with a BG4000 -4500.  Go to bass pro and feel both out.   Bass Pro will price match Walmart.com from your phone.  Walmart is selling BG4000’s for 88 dollars.  

aluminum body with a bit less drag (can always upgrade to carbontex for a bit more) vs light zaion body with enough drag to snap the reel....unless you have to muscle really big and aggro fish out of rocks and corrals i would'nt care that much about those numbers. 

21 hours ago, jerome gagnon said:

aluminum body with a bit less drag (can always upgrade to carbontex for a bit more) vs light zaion body with enough drag to snap the reel....unless you have to muscle really big and aggro fish out of rocks and corrals i would'nt care that much about those numbers. 

Good to know, I think I am more concerned with the amount of line on the Saltist Back Bay, than the Drag. If I went with a BG its only a slight difference in drag, but I would lose a lot line capacity. 

As for the pole, I think I've decided on the Tica Dolphin. I'd rather spend the money on the reel vs the rod at this stage. Just want to make sure im considering all of my options. A Spheros is another option.

On 6/13/2019 at 6:47 PM, domc22 said:

Thanks. I'm thinking the Ballistic 4000 and the Mojo. The few videos out there on the Saltist back bay look really promising, I like that it is an aluminum body vs the Zaoin material. But the drag being only 15.4 and less line capacity has me thinking otherwise.  

You will love the ballistic it’s light and smooth like butter.  Really nice reel

I think your in the right arena as far as size. 8 ft. is a nice jetty rod, the problem is there aren't many jetties left. Personally, I'd go 9 ft. as it is more versatile for the open beach and doesn't hamper you physically as a 10 or 11 footer would. I also like the Shimano Saragosas as a reel choice if you want the latest design and performance.

I prefer the Daiwa SS2600 to anything ever made for a 7, 8 or 9 foot rod, thats just my preference but you'll find very little criticism about the reel if you research it. Been using them for 40+ years, I convinced myself. For a rod, I'm a Lamiglas, Rainshadow and St. Croix fan amongst premium makers and I like the All Star Rod for less $$.

My advice, buy a nice used setup of top quality gear and find out what you like, your loss is minimal if you don't like it and good stuff will always sell. In addition, good equipment won't fail you like the cheap stuff.

Are you going to be wading at all?

I suggest you read up on reels at ********s website. I personally was in your spot a few years ago I landed on a spheros (read his review about how sealed it is at that price point - I've loved mine).  If you're also fishing from the surf you might want a longer rod, I'm happy with my 10'.  My first setup to save on money is a Penn batallion surf rod, I can't believe what I've put that rod through without issue and only $99.

I just bought a bg5000 (again read Alan's review) and paired it with a speedmaster rod by Shimano.  

Lots of options to consider but best advice I can give is go longer if fishing in surf and go to Alan's website, you won't believe how detailed his reviews are.

You might also want different setups for different applications. Maybe consider two setups one smaller and lighter and one beefier. Check out the BST (buy/sell/trade) forums and you can find great deals on good quality used stuff. Might be a good way to start too until you find your preference after using different brands.

Hell then you have to look at braid types and mono and find your preference (many choose braid as do I).... Then surf gear, waders, korkers, surf belt and plug bags...lol it doesn't stop.  

Have fun and welcome!

It's tough to find something that might be good for both blues and fluke from the beach. Jetty  / inlets, maybe a different story.

For beach fluke, you want a light sensitive rod. Star has a nice 2 piece rated to 1 1/2 oz. It's cheap, you'll like it. Put a 4K reel (Battle)on it maybe a little smaller. It'll handle schoolie bass too.

If you want something to handle bigger bass and big blues, look at a 9ft st Croix triumph, it's 50/50 split two piece. Put a 5k reel on it. It's my go to for bass and blues.

If you want to try to get something for both, look at the 2 piece Tica rated to 2oz, it's 50/50 split and can handle a big blue in the surf, a little light but OK. A little heavy for beach fluke but it's a compromise.

Get a big blue in an inlet with current and it'll be too light.

Or if you want to spend $200 bucks, look at the black hole Suzuki, 10 foot rated to 2oz. Will handle the Blues and Bass and some say it's OK for fluke. Great Albie rod in the fall.

Good luck!

Junglist has a great sale right now in BST for a triumph rod and two great reels to get you started.  Something to consider. I think the 50lb braid is overkill but included. Spool the other reel with lighter say 30lb and you'll be good to go.

Keep in mind, for beach fluke you can use a freshwater set up rated to 3/4 to 1oz if you have one.

I've been using my steelhead rod rated to 1oz and it's great. 

Wouldn't go dunking the reel I have on it toi much though.

Agreed that fluking you can use fresh water setup especially if on a jetty.

If you'll be anywhere near salt water that changes everything.

Any boat fishing?