Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
S.K.S

Echo Ion XL Rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Anybody fish the Echo Ion XL rod, particularly the 10 foot 8 weight? Looking for a new striper rod and was wondering if anyone had experience with this rod. 

I have the older 10' 8w Echo Ion (not the XL) and it's a beast of a rod.  Throws a ton of line; likes a longer line (I use an Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead line in 9wt).  Not the lightest rod I own.  The newer Ion XL series is a bit lighter in hand.  Great rods, from a great company.  Mostly use mine for steelhead but the 10' 8w would be able to handle moderately large stripers, IMO, because it's a tough rod and fights fish well.

27 mins ago, Killiefish said:

I have the older 10' 8w Echo Ion (not the XL) and it's a beast of a rod.  Throws a ton of line; likes a longer line (I use an Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead line in 9wt).  Not the lightest rod I own.  The newer Ion XL series is a bit lighter in hand.  Great rods, from a great company.  Mostly use mine for steelhead but the 10' 8w would be able to handle moderately large stripers, IMO, because it's a tough rod and fights fish well.

Thanks for the response, On question: what kind of action did the rod have?

33 mins ago, S.K.S said:

Thanks for the response, On question: what kind of action did the rod have?

Moderate action.  The rod will bend nearly to the cork with a big steelhead on.  Also, the oldest version of this rod has a very overbuild reel seat and heavy composite cork butt.  It can be used two handed because the butt extends just enough to grip it and the line below the reel.  Not so of the newer version(s).

I have it in a 6wt Ion XL for smallmouth bass/light saltwater.  It's a faster action rod.  As Killie said, it feels a bit heavier and fights fish well.  I use both mid range head lines (38') and shorter heads (SA Titan, 33' head I think).  I use the shorter head lines mostly because I almost always fish for smallmouth from my kayak/SUP.  

The older XLs and the 10' models are a bit less fast.  More moderate to fast, IMO.  9' Ion XL in 7wt or 8wt is a fairly fast rod.  They lightened it up quite a bit and is isn't so tip heavy anymore.