BrianBM

Trump/Stephanoupoulos, an amazing thing

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

A truly amazing interview, in several regards.

The big and obvious one is that President Trump sees no reason not to invite foreign governments and intelligence services to help him out in 2020. Judging by the posts in a thread below, most of his supporters are not willing to be seen in public disagreeing with him; how far they go to supporting Russian intervention on President Trump's behalf, I can't tell. George pointed out that when Al Gore was offered a stolen briefing book, he immediately called the FBI. The President said immediately that "That was different," and he's right; Al Gore is an honest man.

President Trump is oddly open in his total lack of morality, political or personal, and his total lack of interest in America beyond his own importance and convenience. As far as protecting American elections from foreign influence, he's not interested, if he benefits by foreign efforts.  In fact, he's all in favor of it!  (Would he be so enthusiastic about foreign meddling on behalf of his opponent? I think not.) The Mueller Report notes that the GRU initiated major efforts to hack Democratic servers within hours of candidate Trump's famous request that they find Hillary's missing emails. The President, looking forward to 2020, used this interview to broadcast his interest in further Russian help.  He can't believe that anyone would do otherwise, though Al Gore did otherwise. 

George remarked that Christopher Wray said that anyone contacted by foreign intelligence should advise the FBI immediately. The President's reply, "The Director is wrong," had some heat on it. Damn  it, why is he so plagued by honest men? Wray's another one who doesn't understand that he's an employee of a family business, like the butler or a chauffeur, nothing more. If only Tiffany had gotten her law degree already! She'd make a fine FBI Director. Or Eric, maybe. Surely there's some under-employed loyal cousin who could step in?

I wonder how long Christopher Wray will remain in office. As FBI Director, he can be fired at the President's will, just as Comey. I suspect he retains his job only as long as the next election; if Trump is re-elected, he's gone the next day.  Meanwhile, those damn Democrats are complaining about his happy indifference to Russian meddling, so it's a politically inopportune time to fire him. I don't know who the #2 at the FBI may be, but you never know - he could turn out to be some SOB who doesn't see himself as a family employee, too. And any attempt at a Senate confirmation would just be another opportunity for Democrats to discuss Russian election hacking. 

There's an argument that I expect to see made (if anyone bothers to respond to this thread, but somebody usually does) that I want to address. TimS brought this up in an earlier thread.

Q.  What's the difference between Hillary's getting the Steele dossier from a former British spook, and the President's campaign being aware of pervasive Russian help, and saying nothing about it?

A.   Everything, from the source, to the use Hillary made of it, to its' ability to affect the election.

The Steele Dossier was originally assembled for a Republican candidate, a rival of President Trump's. (I don't know if the original purchaser has ever been reliably identified.) Steele had contact with a variety of Russian (and probably other) ex-spooks, bureaucrats, and he assembled a collection of stories and claims.  I don't recall what has been corroborated, and what has not; maybe nothing. It was not an effort by the Russian state. After the original buyer dropped out of the primaries, it went on the market and the DNC bought it. The FBI got a copy, Sen. McCain gave the FBI the copy he'd gotten.

What use did Hillary make of it?  None. I assume she saw it, and my best guess is that she was too cautious of the contents to use them. Being pissed on by Russian prostitutes isn't the sort of thing that lends itself to a television debate.

What influence did it have on the election?  None that I can tell. I loathe President Trump, but didn't need the dossier to do so. I've never heard a fellow Democrat say that the dossier is what determined his or her opinion of Trump. Generally, we've enjoyed loathing him since he began peddling the Birther hoax. Personally, I thought him a contemptible slug from long before that, from a press interview where he complained to the reporters that Ivanka's breast implants didn't feel right in his hands anymore. 

The Russian government responded immediately to candidate Trump's call to find Hillary's emails. Impossible to know the net effect, but the effort was made, it was large, and it was initiated immediately upon his call from the podium at a rally for Russian help in finding her emails. This was perfectly sensible; Hillary was known to mistrust and despise Vladimir Putin, whereas Trump had already admired him as a "strong leader." Why would they not meddle, as much as they could? Especially when given an invitation?

Coming back to the interview, does anyone who supports President Trump have any reservations (that they dare express publicly) about his embrace of foreign intervention (if he benefits?)

5 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Coming back to the interview, does anyone who supports President Trump have any reservations (that they dare express publicly) about his embrace of foreign intervention (if he benefits?)

I think it's impossible to actually defend,

which is why it's being dismissed,

"he was trolling the left" is feeble, but it's better than admitting that Trump was being honest about his opinion on foreign interference.

Yes, Brian. Trump is dishonest, immoral, and not very bright. He flaunts it all, which is weird, but it has not bit him hard enough to teach a lesson. It’s a shame

2 hours ago, RiverRaider said:

They did? How? 

Pretty funny since Hillary Bleach bitted her emails and server a year before, so how could they hack them

Mueller's report details how the GRU swung into action within hours of candidate Trump's rally request to find Hillary's emails. 

In an odd way, the posts above confirm Fish'nMagician's comments, in his thread. The President's supporters don't mind foreign meddling at all, so long as it supports Trump. Amazing to think that most of them were Americans once; you wouldn't know it from the playful evasions above. 

The President's interview fits nicely with Jared's interview, two weeks ago. Jared couldn't bring himself to say he'd refuse foreign help in the next campaign. Trump goes beyond that and has effectively advertised for more of it. Russian meddling was previously Fake News! Fake News!  Now, he thinks it's just fine, and can I have some more, please? 

1 hour ago, saltydawg said:

Yes, Brian. Trump is dishonest, immoral, and not very bright. He flaunts it all, which is weird, but it has not bit him hard enough to teach a lesson. It’s a shame

Dishonest and immoral, but bright, and very much in tune with his base.  What I find appalling strikes his base as ... refreshing. Delightful. It'll show the world what we think of it! YAAAAY!

10 mins ago, Flybyme said:

Unless they already stole them as did China’s and others making her guilty of the espionage act.............

We'll count you as another one who doesn't dare address the point. I wouldn't say you're in good company, but you're certainly not alone. 

23 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Dishonest and immoral, but bright, and very much in tune with his base.  

He has an emotional intelligence that is somewhat uncanny, but I would never say he’s even mildly bright

Hillary created the emails. Hillary placed them in a position to be hacked by foreign governments. Hillary deleted them in spite of a subpoena. Hillary claimed they were unrecoverable.

Yet, none of that matters, because  now it’s all Trump’s fault because he told a joke about her very public issues with violating the espionage act at a campaign rally. This makes a lot of sense if you suffer from TDS and need a fix, especially after the Mueller disaster. 

China and Russia would never have searched for her highly sensitive classified secrets unless Trump had cracked that joke. Foreign governments all operate in this manner. They wait to be invited by a candidate for public office before making any attempt at espionage. 

So......why didn’t Comey come out and say these things to us ? You know, that the Russians didn’t know Hillary had been using an unprotected private server in her bathroom to transmit our most valuable secrets. For the year or two this was widely reported on the tv, they didn’t actually think to go look until Trump asked them. Makes perfect sense.