Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeepBlue85

Mahogany darters

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

There are different kinds of mahogany but the one I have used--not sure what kind it is--has made for some bulletproof lures. Doesn't seem to swell up that much like your maple does. While I haven't made a darter from it I think it would be ideal for the non-swelling properties. 

It is a bit more unpleasant to work with in terms of irritating dust. 

I had a 3.75" darter in my dud box and took it out and decided to try to fix. No weights in it. Casts like dream. 3/4" diameter. Very small tapers at either end. 

It ran nose up mostly and didn't dive. So I put a slug of weight just behind the belly hook which is near the nose and now it's swimming great in flat water. Dud in current. 

But I was excited when I drilled the hole for the weight to find it was mahogany, not maple. So it's going to last. Caught a fish when testing it too! 

I prefer birch over all but I do make plenty out of AYC. All darters don’t have to be heavy.  I’ll give it a try. I’m going to give beech a try soon too as my birch connection sucks lately. 

you will enjoy beech ..much like ayc but a little heavier...it will mill out to a very sharp point without snapping off if making needles...holds sharp edges on darter lips.

3 hours ago, capesams said:

you will enjoy beech ..much like ayc but a little heavier...it will mill out to a very sharp point without snapping off if making needles...holds sharp edges on darter lips.

Thanks Steve. I’m going to get some at downes and reader as they have a bunch but no birch of any larger size any more.